glitter

Monday, April 25, 2011

Family Fun

My parents and I headed to Wilmington, NC after work on Friday to spend Easter weekend with my Granddaddy.  We got to town around 8:30 and met Granddaddy, Aunt Phyllis, Uncle Joe and Theresa (Uncle Joe's lady friend) at Wild Wing of all places.  I was totally down for draft Blue Moon and fried food...and it didn't disappoint.  Whilst using the restroom, I noticed that McFly was playing there that night at 10:30.

I used to see McFly a good bit when I lived in Columbia and was excited to see them for the first time in years.  Thanks to the hour wait for a table, we were able to hear them sing a bit.  Yes, the lead singer was wearing the same red suit he always wore.  At some point Aunt Phyllis and I had to make our way to the front of the stage and dance.  Everyone else went home, but she and I stayed.  We even made it on stage not once, but twice, to dance and sing with the band.  Awesome.  Mom came back to pick us up around 12:30 (because we didn't have a car) and it kind of felt like middle/high school again.  Love it.

Saturday, we ate the best grits ever (thanks, Mom; apparently half and half and a few sticks of butter do the trick) and sausage, then ran errands for Granddaddy, grabbed Cook Out for lunch -- including milkshakes.  Yum!  We hung out and then had a typical Herring supper: fried squash for an appetizer, lightly seared Ahi tuna (gone before we sat down for supper), salad, crab cakes, and fried shrimp.  It is no wonder I love food.  And cocktails.  And dancing.  Yes, Aunt Phyllis brought a Wii to Wilmington so we had Herring family evening of Just Dance 2.  Can I just say that it was hilarious and my calves are still sore?!

Easter morning Mom, Dad, Granddaddy, and I went to my cousin's church (she wasn't there):  Port City Community Church.  It was, perhaps, the most contemporary church I've ever been to.  Granddaddy, and even my parents, liked it.  The sermon was great and made me evaluate my own heart and life, and reminded me how beautiful it is that Jesus died for my sins AND then conquered death by coming back to life and is living and active in me.  We headed home for a lunch of ham, green bean casserole, roasted Brussels sprouts and mushrooms, potato salad, bread, tomatoes, and cucumbers.

After a bit, the rents and I headed back to Charleston.  I started reading Atlas Shrugged in the car.  I've been wanting to read it for a few years now and so far I'm really loving it.  But at over 1,000 pages, I think it will take me a while!  All in all, it was a great weekend with the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment