glitter

Thursday, September 15, 2011

This one's for you, Josh Vickery

I'm not sure if I can do this story justice, but I'm going to give it my all.  Last November, Maggie went to a baby shower for one of her co-workers.  Naturally, there was a cake.  Quite unnaturally, there was a black baby made out of fondant icing on top of the cake.  Using her iPhone skills, Maggie snapped a pic and emailed out to a few that she knew would laugh as hard as she did.  Exhibit A:


The story quickly became a favorite and Maggie shared the humor at our table at Mary Alice & Steven's rehearsal dinner.  Josh Vickery had a few tears rolling down his cheeks from laughing so hard.  Any time one of us goes to a baby shower, we joke about having a black icing baby.  

Today my department was throwing a baby shower for a co-worker I barely know.  Just before I left the office, Maggie and I joked about there being a black icing baby.  I showed up late to the shower because I was coming from another meeting.  Since I was late I sat with folks I didn't know.  Sure, that could be an opportunity to make new friends, but I wasn't up for it.  I piled my tiny plate high (per usual) and was disappointed greatly after taking a big bite of what I presumed to be mac-n-cheese.  It tasted funny, fishy even.  

My luck changed when a seat opened up next to my pals there.  First things first, what is going on with this mac?  Turns out, it was a macaroni salad...with crab.  Let's be honest, shall we?  This was faux crab and it was not delicious.  Thankfully, they had fruit and chicken wings and chips.  I remembered the baby!  I asked my co-workers to lean in so I could tell them a story, Maggie's story.  I didn't even finish the story when they start laughing with a glimmer in their eyes.  "EA?!  You haven't seen this cake, have you?!"  

NO!  Could it be?!  

YES!  YES!  A black baby made of icing!  

I got a picture, Exhibit B, below.  Interestingly enough, no one thought it was odd that I took the pic.  


I immediately text Maggie the picture.  She tells Courtney.  Neither of them believe me.  My boss offers to sign a document attesting to the black baby icing.  Just when you think it's an ordinary Thursday, a Wal-Mart cake and a baby made of icing makes life all the more enjoyable.  

(Yes, the baby is the same!  Apparently Wal-Mart and Sam's Club have a thing for icing babies.)

No comments:

Post a Comment