glitter

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Detox salad

I think it's fairly well known that I'm not good at eating healthy.  Perhaps this morning tipped you off: took the last bite of my breakfast when I was offered a Bojangles boberry biscuit.  Of course I made room for that delicious combination of butter and sugar and flour and some faux fruit.

All of that to say, Saturday's food of Chick-fil-A spicy biscuit, cake in bed, hot dogs and fries, Cheez-its, and frogmore stew made me realize I needed to clean up my act a bit this week.  (Pretend you didn't read the paragraph above.)  So I decided to make a detox salad that Courtney eats.  I ate it for supper last night and plan to eat it for lunches this week, along with some slices of turkey.  It was good and since my morning carbs have left me, I'm very much looking forward to eating it in a bit!  It comes from Oh She Glows and here's the recipe:


  • 2 heads broccoli (1 bunch), stems removed
  • 1 head cauliflower, stems removed
  • 2.5 cups shredded carrots
  • 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1 cup currants  [I omitted]
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley [I forgot to buy thus omitted]
  • 1/2 cup raisins [I opted for craisens]
  • 4-6 tbsp fresh lemon juice, to taste
  • kosher salt, pepper to taste (1/4-1/2 tsp salt and lots of pepper)
  • kelp granules or Herbamare (optional), to taste [I omitted]
  • Pure maple syrup, to drizzle on before serving [I used honey]

1. In a food processor (or chop by hand) process the broccoli (no stems) until fine. Add into large bowl.
2. Now process the cauliflower (no stems) until fine and add into bowl. Do the same with the carrots.
3. Stir in the sunflower seeds, currants, raisins, and parsley. Add lemon juice and seasonings to taste.
4. Drizzle with maple syrup to taste.

3 comments:

  1. EA! I love your desire so much but I think you might be cancelling out your detox benefits because craisens and honey have a TON of added sugar in them. I suspect the reason the recipe calls for pure raisins and maple syrup is because those have natural sweeteners in them. I'm not a nutritionist but I do a lot of dietary education/monitoring in my practice and didn't want you to be disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make this salad all the time and it's yummy! However, be aware that this detox salad REALLY works, if you know what I mean.....
    Epsie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! we have a recipe similar in that it is mostly broccoli and carrots, but then has an apple and BACON! :) and the "dressing" is green onions, balsamic vinegar, spicy brown mustard, fresh dill and black pepper. SUPER yummy and really healthy!!! (ps our bacon is nitrate free... :) )

    ReplyDelete