glitter

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Born into Brothels

I can't imagine being in the line.  Or growing up around it.  But so many children are growing up in and around prostitution.  Courtney had this documentary on Netflix and I watched it last night.

Calcutta, India.  A photographer lives there off and on to take pictures of the women and learn their stories.  She inevitably got close to the children.  She started teaching them how to take photos and about the photography process.  She also tries to get them into boarding schools in order to get them out of the brothels.  The red tape is nothing short of a nightmare; the stigmas add a layer of frustration as many schools refuse to take kids from the red light district.  But the children's pictures were beautiful and rich and telling of their lives. Watching this made me think that being born in America is like winning a lottery I never bought a ticket for.  These quotes were chilling.

Photographer:  Of course as soon as I entered the brothels, I met the children...they are filled with children.  They are everywhere.

Kid: One has to accept life as sad and painful.

Kid: I live with my grandmother.  My mom can't take care of me.  My dad tried to sell me.  My sister came and got me...or else I would have been sold.

Photographer:  Her grandmother was a prostitute, her mom is a prostitute.  They are Brahmin; they are like royalty.  They eat well and are not poor.  But she's (daughter) headed for prostitution.

Kid: There is nothing called "hope" in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment