glitter

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Veneer

I read this article on adoption a few weeks ago; the author co-authored a book that I thought looked interesting.  An Amazon purchase was made and I took a reading de-tour from Atlas Shrugged.

Veneer: Living Deeply in a Surface Society

It's great.  It's a fast read with a lot of heart and lots of questions that made me consider my life and my heart before the Lord.

As Christians, the idea of veneer goes against our core beliefs.  One of our foundational beliefs is that we are broken, that we don't have it all together and that we need Christ; he gives us our identity.  If this is true, and if the acceptance of this compelled us to follow Christ, then why do we try so hard to live as if we aren't broken (26)?

Life's realities make following along this narrow path difficult.  It can be lonely.  We'd rather be friends with God and fall into a nonchalant faith of church attendance and worship events than seek him in the brilliant silence (124).


Our quest for purpose should not be focused on figuring out what we're doing in this life with regard to schooling, career, or vocation.  It should be focused on the assurance that God knows us, has a task for us, and will empower us to do it for his glory.  Ask yourself, How can I best glorify God?  And then go and do it (231).

103-6641593-7431018.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment