glitter

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Reality v. Illusion

I read something the other week that mentioned reality verses illusion.  Webster defines these words in the following way:
Reality
1: the quality or state of being real
2(1) : a real event, entity, or state of affairs reality> (2) : the totality of real things and events reality> b : something that is neither derivative nor dependent but exists necessarily
Illusion

1a obsolete : the action of deceiving (1) : the state or fact of being intellectually deceived or misled : misapprehension (2) : an instance of such deception
2(1) : a misleading image presented to the vision (2) : something that deceives or misleads intellectually (1) : perception of something objectively existing in such a way as to cause misinterpretation of its actual nature (2) : hallucination 1 (3) : a pattern capable of reversible perspective
Seems simple enough, right?  I mean, I have a pretty good education, manage to pay my bills on time, and pretty much consider myself a competent person.  But when I read this, my heart stood still for a second (ok, maybe that wasn't reality).  At any rate, I was hit by a ton of bricks at the fact that often, too often, I like to live under the pretenses of illusion. 

Sometimes it is easier to live, or at least think, in terms of how I would like things to be...rather than how they actually are.   Too often, it is easy for me to believe the lies all around me (you should be this, do this, have this, etc.) rather than believe what God has said about who I am, who He is, and how the world truly is.  

Just something I've been thinking about in relation to money, dating (or lack of dating), beauty, relationships, and what not. 

PS.  Every time I hear "illusion" I think of GOB on Arrested Development saying,"it's an ILLUSION, Michael!  An illusion!"

No comments:

Post a Comment