glitter

Friday, March 16, 2012

Understanding in Everything


In my daily reading, I just read 2 Timothy 2:7, "Think over what I say, for the Lord will give you understanding in everything."   Being quite busy since I got back from Nicaragua, I haven't had much time to process and this verse hit me like a ton of bricks.  My brain doesn't have much capacity to dive into it right now...but here's what I can conjure up...

Today has been hard.  Hard to wrestle things like throwing a baby shower for friends that are rich according to the world's standard, knowing that a week ago, I held babies with nothing.  Hard to admit that I'm so selfish here (and everywhere), but I don't want to be.  Hard to function when everything seems backwards and/or upside down.  Hard to accept the shallow lives we accept, rather than fight for depth, even when it is hard.  I want the things that I have seen to change me.  I love Brooke Frasier's song, Albertine that says, "now that I have seen, I am responsible."  I want processed words to yield actions.

Paul tells his beloved Timothy to be strengthened through the grace of Jesus Christ (v1) and to share in the sufferings of Jesus as a good soldier (v3), and then he says that the Lord will give him understanding in everything.  Paul exhorts Timothy to fight and be strong...and then the Lord will give Him insight.  Sometimes we just have to keep fighting when the battle doesn't make sense.

There's just so much I don't understand.  And, yet I know the Lord will give me understanding -- not necessarily answers, but understanding.  He will settle my heart because it belongs to Him.  I think understanding goes back to the Lord: knowing Him means knowing His character and trusting Him.  And He is worthy of our trust, worthy of our worship.  Regardless.  So, when the Lord draws our hearts back to Himself and when He reminds us who He is and who we are in Him, we do gain understanding...in everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment