glitter

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Nicaragua: Saturday

I woke up pretty early and was taken to the airport by my awesome roommate.  I sat on the plane alone from Charleston to Miami and then cruised through the Miami airport to my next gate.  I was feeling pretty bored and had a good bit of time.  The kid sitting across the aisle from me offered some of his Starbursts; you know I took them with joy.  Then I struck up a conversation with his dad.  Their family has been in Florida for quite a long time, but he's originally from Masaya, Nicaragua.  I told him about my love for his country and that the translator for our trip in March was from Masaya.  He asked me the name of the translator.  Melvin.  Oh, yeah, I know him.  In my head: yeah, sure you do.  Turns out, he did!  He pulled up his picture on Facebook -- same Melvin!  They grew up playing basketball together and were going to hang out Monday night.  How cool is that?!

I hopped on the plane and was seated next to Steve.  He works for Tretorn and fell in love with Nicaragua about a year and a half ago.  He and a buddy bought a house there and he heads out of Manhattan and into Nica as much as he can.  If anyone's interested in renting a house down there, let me know; the house and development sound awesome.  After a steady two plus hour conversation, I realized I should have been practicing my Spanish with him (he's fluent).  Ah!

We landed and of course while in line to start the customs process I realize I left my customs forms in the plane.  Yikes!  They would NOT let me back on the plane but the airport dude retrieved them for me.  Then I cruised through customs and met Rosy at the door!  It was SO good to see her!  (She's the pastor's wife.)  Then I saw Osvaldo (pastor), Carlos the drive, and Carlos "Mayorga" my buddy, and little seven year old Joshua.  I grabbed lunch in the airport (rice/beans and two taquitos).

We loaded into the van and headed off for Chinandega.  Or, so I thought.  A few minutes out of the airport and the van broke down.  We were near an auto shop so the driver went and grabbed a mechanic.  He fiddled around for a while; keep in mind we're just hanging out in the midst of a highway.  Eventually we get moving again...until we park at the mechanic's that "fixes" the van.  We hang out there -- even a serious rain storm blows throw.  Then Osvaldo Jr. and Jose Louise come with the truck for us.  We all pile in (literally) and then...well...the next few hours are kind of a blur...but I know we did the following:

  • Went to the grocery store.  Of course Rosy came back with Oreos and ice creams.  I had the ability to decline the Oreos, but not the ice cream.  Ha.
  • Went to a market where they bought vegetables by the truckload.  Literally.  Haha.  The entire bed of the truck was filled with produce.
  • Stopped for dinner.  Carne asada in a bag and various sundry of items I declined on (too full from all the other food).  Let me talk to you about food in a bag real quick.  The first time I saw this was in Haiti, with water in a bag.  Water, fruit juices, foods are all readily purchased and eaten out of bags.  A smidge different than your typical to-go boxes in America.  I found these pics that are similar to what I saw/used:

  • Sams in Nicaragua.  It is called Price Smart, but it is the exact same.  There we bought a full size sheet cake, amongst other things, so that joined us in the truck.  
  • I fell asleep on the way to Leon.
  • An hour long trip in Maxi Pali.  Think: super Wal Mart, Nica style.  In fact, it is owned by Wal Mart.
  • I fell asleep on the way to Chinandega -- me waking up at 4:30 EST was 2:30 am Nica time.  
We arrived home somewhere around 11:30 pm I think.  I headed upstairs to bed, exhausted.  Put on my pj's, went to the bathroom, couldn't find my toothbrush in the dark so I gargled some toothpaste.  Classy.  I excitedly went to pull back the covers of my bed and realized they don't do it the same way.  There's a comforter of sorts on top, but no sheets.  Ok.  You sleep on top; so, I did.  After a long day, I slept like a champion.





No comments:

Post a Comment