glitter

Friday, June 29, 2012

In the year of drought

The other day I read


Jeremiah 17:7-8
“Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord,
     whose trust is the Lord.
He is like a tree planted by water,
    that sends out its roots by the stream,
and does not fear when heat comes,
    for its leaves remain green,
and is not anxious in the year of drought,
    for it does not cease to bear fruit.”



I couldn't really put my finger on why these verses grasped me so.  At first I thought it because they remind me of Isaiah 61:1-3 (beloved verses):


The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me,
    because the Lord has anointed me
to bring good news to the poor;
    he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim liberty to the captives,
    and the opening of the prison to those who are bound;
to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor,
     and the day of vengeance of our God;
    to comfort all who mourn;
to grant to those who mourn in Zion—
     to give them a beautiful headdress instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness instead of mourning,
    the garment of praise instead of a faint spirit;
that they may be called oaks of righteousness,
    the planting of the Lordthat he may be glorified.



But I knew there was something more.  I re-read it a few times.


And, then it hit me.


Not anxious in the year of drought, for it continues to bear fruit.


I have been feeling spiritually dry lately.  My relationship with God ebbs and flows.  During the dry periods, it is easy for me to feel like the Lord would/will never use me.  That He's not at work in my life or the world around me.  It's easy to slip into a bit of despair.  


So, I need this reminder: even in times of drought, if we belong to the Lord, He will work and we will continue to grow and bear fruit.  It might not look glorious for a while -- but the buds are never as pretty as flowers that bloom.  In this time of drought, I want to focus on the fruit, but even more so, focus on the Lord that is working it all out.

No comments:

Post a Comment