glitter

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Nicaragua: Sunday

I woke up in the middle of the night disoriented by the time in change.  I thought it was 6:30 in the morning.  And it was, in South Carolina.  Yet, it was only 4:30 in Chinandega.  Hazel was up stirring around; I told her Feliz Cumpleanos! and she told me to go back to bed.  I woke up again at a normal hour and showered and dressed for church.  Oh, I found my tooth brush!

We ate rice and beans for breakfast and I scored a Coke Zero at the tienda across the street.  Hazel and I went to El Shaddai (Osvaldo's church) to help set up for the day, but then we went to the other church for service.  About a month ago I heard the Lord urging me to prepare a sermon in case it was needed while in Nica...I finished write before I left and had it just in case.  Osvaldo asked if I would preach and so I did; I was so glad to have had something!  I was happy to return the same church I attended last time -- it was cool to see familiar faces and hear how things were going in their lives since March.  Carlos didn't sell his farm.  The red headed guy broke up with his girlfriend, etc...  There was a great time of praying over church members for various needs.

After the service, we went back to El Shaddai for the Mother's Day celebration.  This country celebrates Mother's Day like we celebrate Christmas...well, all most.  I celebrated it 5 days while I was there!  There was the huge cake from Sams Price Smart and soup for everyone.  The soup wasn't my favorite, so I let someone else enjoy it.

One cool thing is that Hazel's mom comes to her church every Sunday so they can hang out.  After church, we went home for naps.  There was a great rain storm and I slept like a baby.  Hazel's mom offered to find me a Nicaraguan to marry.  And she and her mom were both concerned that my jeans were too big.  "Why is this SO big?!"  Because, Hazel, that is the size of my thigh.  Truly, you can't make this up.

It was told to me that Hazel would be celebrating her birthday with her family over pizza.  My heart stopped; what would I do?  I felt so lonely all of a sudden.  She said the boys were going to play sports and she told them I was joining in.  I put on shorts and bounced downstairs grateful for some exercise.  But, it's Nica, and I ended up peeling chayote instead.

  

The thing is, this veggie produces a sap that turns your hands green.  For more than 24 hours because it is SO hard to get it off!  After about 30 minutes or so, I was told to get in the car.  I obliged and had a delightful conversation with Anna.  A cute 24 year old, engaged to Bill.  She seemed quite taken aback that I was 29 and still single.  Aren't we all, Anna?  Aren't we all?  Haha.

Alas, we pulled into a barrio (neighborhood) and bounded out of the truck.  At some point, I got confused.  Where were the sports?  I asked my old pal Norman, and he told me we were doing a campaign.  What?  I thought we were playing soccer??  He laughed at me and told his friends.  (I would have too!)  So, sports were tabled, and an evangelistic church meeting was to be partook of instead.  I couldn't grasp most of the talk, but the worship was great!

We left and took people home -- took quite a bit.  Then we eventually pulled into a gas station where I told Crispen I was going to buy a water.  He told me to wait a bit because we were waiting on a few others and eating supper there; apparently they had good fried chicken!  Next thing I know, we are leaving and going to park the car.  Then, we're waiting for hot dogs at a food truck of sorts, sans the truck.  While thinking about what kind of meat might I be eating, I asked for a hamburger instead.  Meat and cheese only would have been my preference, but I was never asked.  I was starving as it was 10:30 (12:30 am EST).  After picking off all the condiments, I ate 1/2 the burger and treated Norman to the rest.  I guess you could say their meat to bread ratio is a bit different than ours -- just in case you're curious.  We're heavy on the meat, they, the bread.  I collapsed into bed and yet again, slept like a rock.


No comments:

Post a Comment