glitter

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Meet Jerrell.

I went to ATL this past weekend and seriously y'all, it was great.  I think I needed an escape from my reality and it was just that.  I ate way too much, laughed really hard, and danced like a rock star.  Also, have you had a Moscow Mule?  Go ahead - give it a whirl!

Leigh and I headed from Charleston and somewhere out of town I realize we could pick Weston up saving him a trip alone.  He takes us up on our offer and the three of us share our current ups and downs and laugh and realize that life is hard, yet humorous.  We stopped at Wal Mart in Madison, GA so that Weston and I can use the restroom.  Leigh can get razors, Weston needed deodorant, and we all needed M&M's.

We make it to ATL in good time and go our separate ways.  Well, Weston and I both went to Maggie's.  Again, the weekend was incredible filled with many friends, Yacht Rock, and Waffle House.   Need I say more?  Oh, we also got to see Mary Alice and Stephen's beautiful home and watch Andrew try sherbet for the first time.

We celebrated Maggie's birthday well!  And today is her actual birthday.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAGGIE!

After a brunch at Goldberg's, Weston and I met back up with Leigh for the trip home.  We were all excited to de-brief our weekend and continue our "car therapy" session.  About an hour out of ATL, we heard a funny noise.  Leigh asked if it was her car.  I said, "No; I don't think so.  I think it's an airplane."  Really?  An airplane?  Yes!

I roll down the window to find the plane...still searching...

Weston rolls his window down and says, "Oh, I know that smell anywhere; it's a flat tire."  Leigh pulls off the side of the road.

We all empty out of the car.  Weston is right.  About the tire: it is flat.

photo.JPG

 And the smell: it is tragic.  At first I thought it was the tire...but no...it was a large decaying armadillo!  Gross!

photo.JPG

Weston immediately goes to work to change the tire.  Only Leigh's fancy Volvo is different than typical cars and so it isn't working.

photo.JPG

At some point, flashing blue lights come up behind us.  I'm excited because if we can't figure this tire thing out, surely the patrol officer can, right?!  Wrong.  SC offers tire changes as a service; GA does not.  Homeboy knew less about changing tires than I did.

photo.JPG

At one point I had this thought: why are we here?  On the side of the road?  It is taking forever.  I really really want to get home to go to downtown ministry, but that is out.  There must be a reason.  The cool thing is that none of us got frustrated.  We kept our cool and pressed on.  {I think God knew we needed more time together or something?!}  Leigh is on the iPhone reading about tricky Volvo tires.  We are trying everything we can.  Then Leigh starts calling tow trucks.  Weston and I are praying over the tire...

photo.JPG

This picture isn't great, but that is her in the cop car making calls.  At one point, I got in, too, to see if Dad's AAA would work for us.  It would not.  I called dad to let him know that and he said, "just call the highway patrol; they'll come take care of it for you!"  Ummm...dad...I'm in the highway patrol's car and they won't.  GA is different.   I have to go.

The patrol officer found a guy that would come change our tire.  He'd be there in 45 minutes minimum and would charge us $85 to $95.  To change the tire!  None of us wants that to happen.

I keep praying.  Leigh and Weston keep kicking the tire (per Google).  Just as we are about to give up and do something else, Weston gives that tire one last kick.

IT CAME OFF!!

I wish we were on video.  The three of us jumping up and down on the side of the highway!  Thank you Lord!

The doughnut is put on.  And we're not sure where to go in small town GA on a Sunday.  Wal Mart; of course!  And what do you know?  We're in Madison -- the same Wal Mart we went to on Friday.  The patrol officer followed us there as we cruised at a mere 50 MPH down the highway to the next exit to turn around and pull into our old stomping ground.

This is where we met Jerrell.

photo.JPG

He's 76.  Loves the Lord and used to say the opening prayer at his church, but now he has to work on Sunday's.  He was such a sweet dude.  I told him he was cute; he blushed a bit.  :)

While the Volvo got two new tires, we got Magnum ice cream bars.  Why not?!

photo.JPG

The tire situation added two hours to our trip.  But you know what, it was still a good time.  Good friends.  Good conversations.  Good reminder for me that life doesn't always go accordingly to plan.  We can't control that, but we can control our responses.


No comments:

Post a Comment