glitter

Friday, August 10, 2012

My most favorite Nica story July 2k12

I wasn't supposed to go on this trip.  The trip was technically full, but Edy told me I could buy my own ticket and tag along.  I did exactly that!  Three of my four flights were with the team, but I'd be solo from Miami to Managua.  Initially, I was pumped about the alone time.  However, I was having a great time with the team and when we landed in Miami, I decided to ask the airline folks if I could get on with my buddies.

Since I checked a bag, I could not.  I turned to Rennie and said, "I'm not in a good place.  I love alone time and the idea of having four hours alone with me, my thoughts, and God scares me right now."  Yikes!  We grabbed breakfast (second of the day) and then some friends came with me to my gate to hang out while I waited to board.  Typically, I'm an eager beaver to board, but not this day.  I waited until I was one of the last.

Some things going on personally and being scared to come face to face with my thoughts and what I'd been avoiding/trying to hide from the Lord, I started crying as soon as I was out of view from my friends.  When I stepped foot on that plane, I KNEW beyond a shadow of a doubt, way down in my gut, that I'd ride in first class.  My ticket said otherwise, but the Lord whispered to me that I'd be in first class that day.

As tears quietly rolled down my cheeks, a flight attendant asked if I was ok.  I said yes and then made eye contact with a boy in first class.  After a minute he said, "take my seat."  "No!  I'm not taking your seat!"  He said, "no, take it.  Give me your ticket."  We switched seats and for the first time in my life, I was in first class.

LESSON ONE.  Just as I didn't deserve first class, I don't deserve salvation and a relationship with Jesus.  Jesus switched places with me -- took death so I don't have to -- as this kid switched seats with me.

Turns out, there was a group of 80 Catholics heading to build water wells.  The kid in front of me turned around and said, yeah, Alex is really nice; he's like a Catholic Catholic.  {Note to self: he's a Christian.}  The flight attendant brought over a tray of mimosas and waters.  I went to grab a mimosa and knocked the entire tray over.  Yes, of course I did!  I'm now covered in orange juice and a crying mess.  She brings over a towel with club soda and I have to chuckle.

Y'all, if you ever get to ride in first class, DO IT!  They bring you a warm towel to clean your hands with.  Then I received a warm bowl filled with warm mixed nuts.  They were yummy.  Then I had a glass of red wine.  Then they asked if I wanted chicken or filet for lunch.  Really?  Filet was the easy choice.  As I sat there, awaiting my food, I started feeling guilty.  Alex wasn't even getting a snack in coach, yet I was about to eat a delicious meal.  I didn't deserve this at all!

LESSON TWO.  The Lord spoke to me and said, "Just accept this.  Let me love you."  I needed to be reminded that the Lord loves; He is love.  He pursues.  He cherishes His children.  I try to run and hide, but he will always seek me out.  He is the greatest lover and pursuer of all time.  And I needed to receive His love.  His love doesn't always come in the form of first class and lavish amenities, but it does always come.

The first course was a beautiful salad of arugula, shaved Parmesan, and balsamic.  Second course was filet with fancy cheese on top (I don't remember what kind), awesome mashed potatoes, creamed spinach, and a balsamic roasted tomato.  There was caramel cheesecake for dessert.  And I had a second glass of wine.

I had fun talking to the kid next to me and the dude in front of me.  Dude in front of me needed a life change; in a huge way.  I hope and pray that his time in Nicaragua changed his life forever as he had a real encounter with Jesus Christ.  I also had good reflection and time alone with my thoughts and the Lord.  And, I was able to write Alex a thank you note for giving me his seat.

I got off the plane and waited for Alex, saying thank you and handing him my thank you note.  He looked me in the eyes and said, "you're welcome.  I could see that you were in pain and I wanted to do whatever I could to take that away from you."  Y'all!  This kid was like 18 years old!  How great is he?

LESSON THREE.  I think that's how the Lord looks at us.  He sees our struggles and our pain and he wants to take it away from us.  It doesn't mean life will be smooth sailing or perfect; it doesn't mean we won't struggle or be in pain, but it does mean that He will walk with us through those times.  And, when we submit to Him, we will be released from the things holding us in bondage.

I was able to speak publicly three times during our trip and twice I shared this story.  Most of the people I spoke to haven't left their country, let alone been on an airplane, or in first class.  However, the lessons don't change.  We all fail and make mistakes and get hurt and are broken in certain places.  We all need to be reminded that God is love and when we know him, we encounter his love in real and tangible ways.

It certainly was a plane ride I will never forget.  I'm so grateful for Alex and his generosity!  AND the most amazing thing happened.  The way home -- my actual ticket from Managua to Miami was in first class!  Can you believe it?!  I did the best thing I could do and traded seats with someone else...


2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this! Glad you shared it. -JBrooks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story! I love your perspective. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete