glitter

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Understanding v. Peace

Is it an Allstate commercial that says, "Life comes at you fast," ?  I can't be sure, but I think so.  I've definitely been feeling that way these days.  Personal issues.  Family issues.  Work issues.  Is there an end in sight?  I don't think so...not because I'm being a pessimist, but because life keeps going and that inevitably means there will be mess and hardship along the way.

However, this morning, in the midst of troubles, I am thankful.  Thankful for a friend that woke up at 5:00 am and felt the Lord call her to pray for me and my family.  Thankful for support from friends.  Thankful for people coming alongside me and loving me in the middle of my junk.  I'm thankful for Psalm 27 as I read it over and over this morning while IT worked on my computer...again.  Thankful for the book Jesus Calling.  Though I don't own it (yet), the Lord keeps using it to challenge and comfort my soul.  

Maggie sent me this from August 7:

"Understanding will never bring you Peace. That's why I have instructed you to trust in Me, not your understanding. Human beings have a voracious appetite for trying to figure things out in order to gain a sense of mastery over their lives. But the world presents you with an endless serious of problems. As soon as you master one set, another pops up to challenge you. The relief you had anticipated is short-lived. Soon your mind is gearing up again: searching for understanding (mastery), instead of seeking me (your Master). 

The wisest of all men, Solomon, could never think his way through the to Peace. His vast understanding resulted in feelings of futility, rather than in fulfillment. Finally, he lost his way and succumbed to the will of his wives by worshipping idols. My Peace is not an elusive goal, hidden at the center of some complicated maze. Actually, you are always enveloped in my Peace, which is inherent in my Presence. As you look to Me, you gain awareness of this precious Peace." 
I love to understand.  I love to figure things out: what's the problem?  What's the solution?  Let's make it happen.  Sometimes that works; sometimes it doesn't.  When the solutions aren't clear cut and when things are out of your hands, it can make you (me) grow anxious, fearful, and the likes.  But you know what?  

The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?  The lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?  ...  I believe that I shall look upon the goodness of the Lord in land of the living!  Wait for the Lord; be strong and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!  
Psalm 27:1,13-14

That doesn't solve anything; it solves everything.  I can't understand or fix, but I am with the Lord in the land of the living and he is in my midst.  He is worth waiting for.  And I  

No comments:

Post a Comment