glitter

Monday, December 6, 2010

Christmas Cheer and a Beer!

A long, long time ago I lived with Katie and Jenn.  Circa Fall of 2005 Katie and her boyfriend (now husband) Jake went to a Carolina game.  Katie picked up a case of Bud Light to take to the tailgate.  They ended up parking forever away and Jake didn't want to be seen carrying a case of beer all over Columbia.  Hahahaha!  Katie was a smidge irritated that they left the beer in the car and brought it home after the game. 
 
So we had a case of beer.  Jenn didn't drink beer.  Neither did I.  Katie did socially, but wasn't the type to hunker down with a case by her lonesome.  So the beer sat and sat in our fridge.  One day in December Katie and I tried to think of ways to get rid of the beer...and Christmas Cheer and a Beer was born!
 
Now this was not the first time Katie and I came up with interesting things to do as roommates.  Jenn ususally did not participate (I guess she thought we were weird or something?), but this time she agreed.  Yes!
 
We put on semi formal wear (I got to re-wear my ADPi Christmas party dress from freshman year!) and donned some antlers (thanks to Jenn who had those).  We baked cookies of some sort.  And we grabbed the case of beer.
 
Y'all, we went to our friends houses, chanted the Christmas Cheer and a Beer poem we wrote, and handed out cookies and a beer.  It was a hilarious and magical evening.  Cheer was delivered throughout Columbia. 
 
The holiday season has drawn near.
So we dressed up and came right here.
All to give you christmas cheer. 
This is our favorite time of year
Enjoy your treat and your beer!
 
Katie ended up marrying Jake which required a move to Greenville.  Mary moved in.  CCB 2006 involved the same antlers, but that year we wore old bridesmaid dresses.  Who would have guessed the David's Bridal gown would have been re-worn after all?!  Haha.  At this point, I'd say we were legen -- wait for it -- dary in Columbia!  2007 took a turn when we dressed up as Christmas (Jenn; complete with white lights that could be plugged in), Cheer (Mary as a cheerleader), and beer (me). 
 
I headed to Clemson for grad school in 2008 and Nicole took my spot.  Jenn, Mary, and Nicole got high tech that year with real elf costumes!  Same for 2009.  Then Jenn got married in 2010...and we decided to have a CCB reunion!  A drop in at Jenn's with all of the past roommates! 
 
Sadly, Carolina went to the SEC championship.  Mary knew that if she did, she wouldn't be able to participate.  Sad.  Nicole bailed on us at the last minute to attend the game as well.  So we were down to the original 3: Jenn, Katie, and I. 
 
We had lots of food.  Lots of beer.  Lots of wine.  Lots of fun friends.  Jenn had a framed picture from each year so you could take the CCB walk down memory lane...so fun!
 
Side note: Some things have changed.  I love beer.  Katie (and Jake) drink freely now.  Jenn will even indulge in a brewski given the right moment. 
 
I loved getting to spend time with some people that I rarely get to see.  Catching up on our current lives and laughing about old times.  I think CCB 2010 was the best one yet!

1 comment: