glitter

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Total Eclipse

I'm not super into stars, moons, and the likes.  But when something comes around once in your lifetime, I don't mind losing a bit of sleep to partake. 
 
I set my alarm for 2:00 am to wake up.  I told the alarm to stop, rather than snooze.  Then I fell back asleep and dreamed that I got up and watched the eclipse and it was magnificent.  So I woke back up, it was 2:20.  Set an alarm for 2:30.  Woke up.  Received a text from Courtney, "So cloudy I can't see anything.  Sad day."  I replied that I was gearing up.  Put on my capilene pants, sweat pants, cowboy boots, capilene shirt, hat, scarf, and gloves, and down puffy coat.  I headed outside and was AMAZED. 
 
Maybe the sky always looks that beautiful at 2:30 in the morning?  I called Courtney and told her it was awesome.  We decided that I should grab my lap top so we could video chat and hopefully she could see it.  Whilst doing that, I called my house to talk to mom and woke dad up...oops.  While dad was trying to get my mom, she beeped in on her cell phone.  Mom, Courtney, and I had a nice little chat.  I should mention that mom was in the backyard on a beach chair with an ELECTRIC blanket hooked up via an extension cord and had ear plugs in.  She said it was marvelous.
 
There was still a tiny sliver of silver on the far right side.  So I headed in to come back later.
 
It really looked like this (but with a TINY bit of silver):


 Unreal!
 
At 3:00, Courtney said, "Should be totally dark now according to my phone."  Because she downloaded an app for it.  So I hopped back out of bed and went to check.  There was still a tiny sliver of white.  Re-set the alarm.  At 3:30 it wasn't fully dark yet and I could see the clouds starting to roll in.  While that was disappointing, it looked pretty cool. 
 
Just before 4:00, I realized work would be hell today.  [And it has been!]  It was cloudy and I couldn't see the moon well at all.  I decided to give it one more shot at 4:50 (go big or go home, people!).  At that time, I couldn't see it at all.  I was SO glad that I could see a bit of it, though.  Pretty awesome. 
 
I had not one, but two Diet Cokes this morning.  I am still dragging...but worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment