glitter

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Mary Alice and Steven get hitched: Friday

Friday morning Mary Anne, Susie, Liz, and I ate a simple breakfast and chatted about the past evening and upcoming events.  Mary Anne and I got ready to head to the bridal luncheon and then headed to the Athens Country Club.  We were greeted with mimosas and mingled with the other bridesmaids and Mary Alice's aunts, etc.  There were a total of 15 of us and I loved the intimacy of a smaller crowd.  We were served a beautiful and delicious lunch: two crepes stuffed with chicken, mushrooms, and a creamy wine sauce, with a side of asparagus.  

Here's the thing.  It's not that I'm not a cryer in tender moments, but weddings and wedding related things aren't what get me.  I've never cried at a wedding because of the wedding (I've cried at 3 weddings but about things non-related to the wedding at all).  So I never in a million years thought I'd lose my cool at the bridal luncheon.  Well, I did!  Mary Alice said the sweetest things about everyone there as she handed us our presents.  She was personal and heart felt and I lost it.  Even before she spoke to me...and when she spoke to me, well, I was a mess.  So tender!

Susie wrote Mary Alice a poem when we graduated from Presbyterian College: MAP's journey.  She wrote and read another poem at the luncheon: MAP's journey 2.  I laughed and obviously I cried.  It was great.  

Y'all, Mary Alice was way too good to us for bridesmaid gifts.  We each received some brown flip flops to wear to the reception, a super cute brown scarf with our monogram in white, a beautiful monogrammed silver jewelry box, and inside were a pair of pearl earrings and a matching pearl necklace to wear to the wedding.  Too much!  But I loved it all!  Thanks, Mary Alice!

Before we headed out, we took pictures.  No, not with personal digi cams, from McGinnis, Mary Alice's wedding photographer.  He is by far the most professional and hardcore wedding photographer I've ever met or been around.  He learned all of the wedding party's names prior to meeting us, so without introduction, you'd hear something like, "Elizabeth Ann, stand up tall.  Tilt to the right.  Ok.  Perfect."  He was with us from the bridal luncheon on -- for the entire wedding.  To my knowledge, he's a straight man, but he knows more about women than I ever will -- including how to best do your hair, make up, put on a corsage, and how to stand for the best angle.  He will only include you in a picture if you look good!  Love that!  At first, I found him a smidge bossy, but by the end of the weekend we were good pals.  Especially when he put down the camera for a second and asked me for a quick dance!  I cannot wait to see his photos!  There should be a few thousand! 
 
After the luncheon, we headed to the Hilton Garden Inn.  Let me say a few kind words about this hotel: it is in a great location in downtown Athens, it is clean, the rooms are nice, the beds are comfortable, and the complementary hot tea was delish!  The downside to this hotel: the service.  They didn't understand that our rooms had been paid for.  A quick conversation or phone call?  Not so much.  An hour later, including a form faxed, signed, and returned by the bride (because that is what you want to do on your weddign weekend), they finally understood what Brooke, Mary Anne, and I had been explaining over and over and over again.  At one point Brooke said, "Aren't y'all in the hospitality business?!"  Hahahaha.  But that was the only hiccup of the weekend! 

Mary Anne and I were glad to unpack in our room and get a bit of rest.  We had about an hour until we needed to leave for the rehearsal and dinner.  Maggie was at the hotel (yay!) and came to play with us in our room as we got ready.  A quick shower and change of clothes later and we were on the road again to Winder. 

At the church, we finally met Mrs. Debra Lassiter, the wedding planner.  Homegirl was super on top of things and yet very friendly and upbeat at the same time.  The rehearsal went smooth and wasn't too long, which is a major plus.  Then we headed over to the rehearsal dinner.  I don't remember the name of the venue, but it was a beautiful and large old home that was recently renovated.  We had a large room.  Steven's family decorated the place really well with a UGA theme (Steven is a HUGE fan!).  We had a delicious meal of catered BBQ pork, along with yummy chicken, hash, baked beans, cole slaw, and roles.  Of course, I ate like a rock star.  When we had the cake at the end of the evening, I was in heaven: best icing ever!

A few interesting things to note from the dinner.  One.  Alcohol cannot be served in public in Winder unless a cop is present.  One cop per hundred guests.  No bottle of wine was opened, nor was a beer cap removed until the cop arrived.  Two.  The caterer was serious about his BBQ.  Whilst in the food line, about five us noticed (all at once, mind you), that the server (and chef) was balling up the BBQ meat.  I'm sure this description won't do it justice, but y'all, the best way I can sum it up is this: it was as if he was making love to the BBQ.  He dove in with his glove clad hands and picked out a bunch of meat.  Then, he lovingly and tenderly molded the meat into a ball.  Uncovered it and asked if the amount was ok.  If yes, he gently placed it on your plate and then pushed the ball so that the meat would all fall apart on your plate.  So bizarre!  But, ball or not, it was some damn good BBQ.

I'm just to be honest for a minute.  I think my group of girls is super fun and often tends to be the life of the party.  Thankfully, we were all seated together at the rehearsal dinner.  The Vickerys (Brooke and Josh), along with our new friend, Brad, made our table complete and lively.  Brad would turn out to be our male buddy for the weekend.  We laughed uncontrollably as we told lots of awesome stories...my favorites included fondant and black icing babies.  We stole BBQ sauce.  We discussed the 25 minute video (which was awesome, thanks to Josh!).  We reminisced over eyeglasses worn by others. 

The toasts began after supper.  Mary Anne and I each gave a sweet toast and then all of B5 gave the toast of the century.  Shannon introduced us and did a flawless job of making it appear that we were about to get serious on the crowd.  Then we busted out with a rap/poem to the tune of Fresh Prince of Bel-Aire:
 
Now this is a story all about how
Mary Alice is our first, to say her vows.

We’d like to take a minute to start at the beginning
Where it all went down at the College of Presbyterian 

In the small town of Clinton where our friendship began
in townhouse b5 singing hey ya and gettin'  tan

Readin’ studyin’ stressin’ for school
Punchin’ numbers in a calculator; Malice thought she was cool

Instead we chose to play, drinkin’ and eatin’ grilled cheese
Workin’ unicorn puzzles while watchin’ the OC

She danced on one little stage & we all got scared
The flip flops were for sure a goner, not that anyone cared

Malice rocked tapered leg jeans, like only a mom could
Until Christmas ‘04, when she came back with the goods

Walked in the door, jeans longer and leaner
Noted the fancy nails as she locked her beamer

Every summer we reunited in B5 fashion
Malice told us about a boy for whom she had a passion

Here’s to Steven and Malice, let’s toast to their new life
To sit on their throne as husband and wife!

B5, sans Mary Alice, headed out for a beer or two in Athens.  After trapsing around a bit, we settled on Cutters.  A bar that we'd all been to together once upon a time ago.  One Bud Light and a Diet Coke later, I was ready to head home.  Luckily the other gals were, too.  Of course we decided to pile in one hotel room together and order a pizza.  Dear Papa Johns, that pepperoni pizza you delivered to our room was nothing short of glorious.  Two slices later, I was stuffed and ready for bed.  I walked back to my room at 1:18 am, tired, full, thankful for a fun day, and excited about tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment