glitter

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Mom & Moe's

I got an email from my mom yesterday saying dad was out of town and she was all alone; did I want to do supper?  Sure.  She called asked about cooking fried pork chops, rice & gravy, and okra.  While this did sounds amazing, I've been trying to eat healthy this week (salads at lunch; veggie burgers for supper), so I asked if we could do something healthy.

We played what I like to call the restaurant game:

Mom: What do you want to eat?
Me:  I don't care.  Name some places.
Mom: We could do Moe's, x, y, z.
Me: (Stopped listening after I heard Moe's.)  You'll eat at Moe's?  (Mom is SUPER picky!)
Mom:  Well...ah...
Me:  You suggested it!  Let's go there!  You can eat a quesadilla.

So we get to Moe's and there are about a million and one children.  I get the Moo and mom orders some fancy BLT chicken quesadilla with a sauce.  Of course she doesn't want the sauce on the quesadilla (see above = picky eater).  When mom is paying they ring it up then subtract a bit and she's like huh?  Turns out, its kids night.  Since she got a real meal and I got a kids meal, they didn't charge her for mine.  Score.  Mystery of a million and one children: solved.

Over the course of the meal:

  • Mom sees several people she knows in Moe's.
  • As I was being introduced to one, she asked where I was visiting from: James Island (20 minutes away).  Haha.
  • Turns out one fella, with Alzheimer's, LOVES coming on Tuesday's to sit and watch all the kids and commotion.
  • I got salsa for mom and my usuals.  She didn't like the one I got hers and stole mine.  Then she tried the green salsa but didn't like it because it was green (again, picky eater).  
  • I mentioned they also had corn salsa and she was eager to try it.  She ended up liking that mixed with a red salsa because she thinks salsa should be red.  Love it.
  • They forgot to give mom her sauce on the side.  Five minutes into sitting down.  Mom:  what do you think the sauce would taste like?  OMG, would you like me to ask for it for you?  She did.
Maybe you had to be there, but it was pretty hilarious.  Going to Moe's with mom is like taking a child to an amusement park: they both get overwhelmed.  

But we had a great time together and it was fun.  We ended the evening by touring Mt. Pleasant's newly opened Trader Joe's!  

1 comment:

  1. really great post. b/c i know you. and your mom (enough). and can see all of this happening at my favorite place and yours...moes! :)

    ReplyDelete