glitter

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A bit of a rant.

It's no question that the state of SC is having some financial difficulties these days.  School districts all across the state have spread their budgets very thin just to retain teachers and keep the lights on.  Or so I hear...

Every day on my way to work, I drive past an elementary school and everyday I wonder: why are there now four crossing guards to help kids walk across the street?  The past two school years, there have only been two.  To my knowledge, there hasn't been an increase in students at this school or an increase in kids that walk to school. Everything looks the same as always, but there are twice as many crossing guards.

To me the kicker is, of those four, two stand together and talk the entire time.  Really?  Last time I checked, it didn't take two men to help one or two tiny kids cross the street.  Perhaps worse than this: the woman that is most often times in her car and on her cell phone.  The fourth fella is a block or so away from the school.

All of these things grind my shorts.  Especially since our county voted to increase our sales tax (now at 8.5%) so that 1% would go towards education.  If spending education money this way is considered right, I'd prefer to be wrong.


No comments:

Post a Comment