glitter

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Making things up may not be the best way to go.

In a month, I'll be in Honduras; crazy and exciting!  Yesterday, I went to look for bus information to take from the airport to the town I'll be staying in.  Shannon gave me the website and told me I could buy a ticket online now or when I got there.  Well, obviously this A-typer would prefer to purchase in advance.

Should be easy, right?  So I went to "buy online" and started filling out my information.  Since I'm not Honduran, I don't have an Honduran ID number.  Fine, just put in your passport number.  Well, I didn't have that with me or access to it.  So, I did what every normal person would do: I made it up.  I put in 123456789 (not even knowing how many digits your passport number have; which, turns out to be 9!).  To me, this would be perfectly fine, because websites only take you so far until you give them the goods, i.e. submit your credit card info.  No worries, right?

Wrong.  Of course, as soon as I clicked "next" after my personal information it does not take me to another info page.  Nor does it take me to the payment page.  Instead, it says, "thank you; someone will be in touch with you."  Great.  My first thought:  please don't call me because it is likely I won't understand a word you are saying.  I was relieved when I received an email from Mayra about my bus ticket.

However, from the time I submitted my information to the time I received Mayra's email, I found out I'd submitted the wrong bus stop (not shocking).  So I asked her about that and mentioned I could give her my legit passport  number later on.  I'm pretty sure Mayra became alarmed when she realized 123456789 wasn't my actual passport number.  {Come on, Mayra, who's actually lucky enough to get that number?!}  At any rate, I emailed her my real number last night.

At this point, I'm fully expecting to be flagged by the Honduran bus system and may be called in for questioning.  Yet, hoping Mayra doesn't tell her supervisor about some random American who's certainly clueless and potentially fraudulent or terrorizing or something tragic.

No comments:

Post a Comment