glitter

Monday, September 20, 2010

The Big Apple

Leigh and I left Dirty Jersey early Thursday morning to head to New York.  We rode the train.  It was nice and clean and boggles me a bit that so many people do that every single day.  Both ways.  We arrived in the city and met up with Leigh's friend Justin to drop my suitcase off at his office. 

I LOVE being in New York!  Just being in that city makes me excited and feel more alive.  There are ALL kinds of people.  All kinds of things to do.  All kinds of food to eat.  I can just walk around and be content/entertained. 

Leigh and I ate lunch at one of her favorite joints.  Spitzers in the Lower East Side.  She got mac and cheese and green beans.  Sounds exciting, huh?  Seriously.  It was the BEST mac and cheese I have ever put in my mouth.  Ever.  And the green beans?  Same thing.  I'm not sure how they sauteed the beans to be on par with eating heaven, but they did.  As for me, I got a beef cheek sandwich -- with arugula and horseradish on super yummy, hard on the outside, soft like a pillow on the inside bread.  It was the first time I'd ever had beef cheek and it was love at first bite.  Y'all the food there was insanely delicious.  I could eat a beef cheek sandwhich right now...I'm salvating thinking about it.  The inside of the bar is gorgeous.  We got funky beers that were great as well.  I had the Flying Dog Raging Bitch. 


We sat at the bar facing the street.  The windows were open -- so we could watch all the street activity as we ate.  For the people watcher that I am, it was perfect.


My sandwich. 


After lunch, we tried on some boots and then headed to grab dessert.  I was stuffed, but not about to let this opportunity pass me by.  Ha!  


According to the 25,089,421 things on its walls -- it has been showcased on the Food Network.  Leigh and I split a dulce leche & Nutella crepe.  It was yummy and sweet and filling.  I could also go for one right now. 



After lunch, we wondered around the city.  Just your average passer-by on the street:


The US Open was playing on giant screens in the park.


Me:  Wow, they're already decorated for Christmas!?!  
Leigh: Buddy, that's not what the colors are for.
(Little Italy) 


When it was time for me to go, I retrieved my bag from Justin.  And headed on the subway then a bus to Laguardia.  I was pretty proud for doing it all by myself.  However, out of fear for getting off at the wrong place, I got off at the first stop.  Which turned out to not be my terminal.  Awesome and fitting for me.  I found out that there's a free shuttle I could hop on, but decided to walk.  There was a sign: Approx. 2000 feet to next terminal; about a 10 minute walk.  But I made it, rolling suitcase and all. 

I flew to ATL and then on to Raleigh.  Krissie picked me up around 11:45 pm.  Whoa.  I'd only eaten two bags of airline pretzels for supper so I was starving.  Luckily, KB was ready for a snack, too.  We headed to Cook Out which I was super pumped about because I hear its great, but have never eaten there.  Sadly, it was closed.  We settled on McDonald's.  They were out of single sized burgers.  Yes, somehow that was true.  Ugh...had to get the double.  We headed home and hung out a bit.  My head hit the pillow at 2.  I loved  my travels, but it felt damn good to be back in the South.

No comments:

Post a Comment