glitter

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Wedding. And then some.

Saturday morning included a yummy breakfast at The Greencrest.  Fresh fruit, homemade coffee cake, and Kellogg's products (seeing as how Battle Creek is the home of Kellogg's).  They are not forthcoming with Coke products, but I managed to squeeze a Diet Coke out of them.

With family and the wedding party, we completely filled up the 8 bedroom bed & breakfast.  6 of the rooms have private baths and 2 rooms share a bathroom across the hall.  Me, being the stunning singleton that I am, was in one of the small rooms with a hall bath.  When taking my shower Saturday after breakfast, I thought nothing of taking 2 steps out of my room and into the bathroom in just my tank top and underwear.  Me being me, of course I got caught in the 5 seconds I was visible.  The housekeeper appeared appalled as she saw me.  She quickly told me of the robe in my room I could use or shut the hall doors!  I let her know it was fine and I was quite comfortable how things were....haha.


The wedding started at 2:00 pm and was beautiful!  Afterwards, we enjoyed appetizers and drinks.  Supper was served at 4:00 pm.  During the meal I asked my youngest cousin Matthew what he was drinking.

Matthew: Pepsi.
Me: Gross.
Matthew: You know, I'm a little surprised that they're serving Pepsi with your mom being here...
Me: Matthew, what was served last night at the rehearsal dinner?
Matthew: Oh yeah!  Your family isn't in charge of today!  Haha...
(Don't worry, dad managed to scrounge up a Coca-Cola for mom!)

There were a few toasts at the wedding dinner and this one was my favorite.  My brother's best friend, Jay said that we've been family friends for forever.  We call his parents Aunt Patty and Uncle George and they call my parents Aunt Marcia and Uncle Clark.  He shared a story -- when Nathan and Jay were in elementry school they got into a fight on the playground.  Jay said we were cousins and Nathan said we weren't.  Jay went home and told his mom (Aunt Patty) that Nathan said the dumbest thing: that we weren't cousins.  He was pretty upset when his mom explained to him that Nathan was right.  Hahaha.

It was quite cold during the ceremony and dinner.  As you can see we had to make do and bundle up as best we could!
(my cousin Virginia, my Aunt Dean -- yes she has socks on with her dress shoes, and me)

Then, the dancing began.  And boy, did my family dance!  I really don't think I was off the dance floor for more than 5 minutes from the time the band started.  My mom and Aunt Dean may have danced the most and had the most fun!  I love that!  We really all had a blast!

My pictures are not on this computer...but here's the link to the wedding photos:

http://stacyablephotography.zenfolio.com/shannon_nate
As the reception was winding down one of Nathan and I's mutual friends asked me if I wanted to go out that night in Kalamazoo.  The Mayor of Kalamazoo is one of Shannon's dad's best friends (Stu).  Bobby Hopewell, the mayor, performed the wedding ceremony and questioned Nathan's friends as to why they were staying in Battle Creek when they could be staying in wonderful Kalamazoo.  He then said that they should "throw down in the 'zoo with him tonight!"  How could I not go with them?!  I'm going to be up front and say that this recollection will not do our time in the 'zoo justice, but I'll do my best.

5 of us headed out to Kalamzaoo where we met Bobby the Mayor at Wild Bull downtown.  On the ride someone said to me, "you're really free on the dance floor.  I can tell you get your dancing skills from your mom.  Nathan had fun dancing, and he wanted to be out there...but he's not like you and your mom.  Y'all really get into it and let yourselves go!"  Love that!

This was one of the craziest, coolest bars I've ever been to.  It was like 5 bars connected to one -- country saloon, tiki type bar, beer garden, outdoor dancing with a huge stage, and more.  Bobby gave us a tour of the place and then took us to the elevator where we arrived at the sky bar.  It certainly did not feel like we were in Michigan.  I danced with a man named Kim, got a tour of the 'zoo from Bobby, and hung out with my crowd.  At some point in the conversation, the couple next to us mentioned that they knew Stu (Shannon's dad) and decided to join us for the rest of the evening. 

We then headed to Bell's brewery and sat outside for a while.  We explained the magical wonders of Chick-fil-A and Waffle House to Bobby.  All the talk of delicious food made us want WaHo.  After walking quite far, witnessing a tragic hit-and-run car accident, and scoping the menus of two food establishments, this motley crew of Southerners realized that the 'zoo doesn't know anything about late night dining.  We settled for a hot dog from a vendor outside of the Wild Bull.  It was pretty good, but couldn't hold a candle to hashbrowns scattered and covered. 

Near the hot dog cart, Bobby some some of his friends and they asked where we were all heading next.  Bobby said he didn't know yet and we all knew that it was time for us to head home.  Our time with Bobby was fun, but needed to end.  We piled into our car and swung by Checkers for fries and diet cokes to finish up what the hot dogs started.  I was dropped off at the Greencrest just shy of 2 am, marched up to my room, couldn't fall asleep and watched HGTV until 2:30...

Such a fun and random night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment