glitter

Monday, September 13, 2010

Pure Michigan

Have you ever seen the commercials for Pure Michigan?  I got my first taste of Michigan the other week.  I spent Wednesday night at my parent's house because we had an early morning the next day.  Our plane left for Michigan at 7:15ish, so we planned to get to the airport at 6.  Somehow we arrived around 5:35, which means I awoke at 4:30.  AM!  Such a stretch for the horrid morning person I am. 

Our flight to Detroit took off and landed perfectly on time!  Once we landed in D-town, we transferred to this TINY prop plane for our flight to the Battlecreek/Kalamazoo airport.  Y'all, this plane had to warm up for like 15 minutes before we could take off.  During those 15 minutes, they have to turn the air off...I'm not gunna lie, I was sweating and queasy.  Thankfully it eventually took off and landed on time as well - we made it to the tiny tiny airport at 11:15.  At some point during our morning travels, mom and I debated about the time zone.  My brother lives in Chicago and is an hour behind us.  Naturally, I assumed that Michigan was an hour behind as well.  They're not; mom was right.  (I HATE being wrong...)

Nathan and Shannon picked us up at the airport and it was so good to see them!  After the early morning and several hours of traveling, I was starving.  We ate at a local joint in Kalamazoo, Food Dance.  It uses a lot of local and organic ingredients and was quite tasty.  I devoured my pad thai.  Shannon's parents joined us for lunch; afterwards, we ran some errands.  We headed to Libins for some tux try-ons.  Stu, Shannon's dad, my dad, and Nathan all needed adjustments on their tuxes -- it's a good thing we went by!  We were in there for over an hour...Sylvestor, the gentle and patient man helping us had his work cut out for him!

At some point Nathan grabbed a top hat and I teased him saying he looked like Mr. Peanut.  Nathan said he'd need a cane for that.  Sylvestor offered to get one for Nathan!  Once he was all dolled up, I wanted to take a picture.  Nathan then had the brilliant idea to get into the store window and pose for a few pics.  Sylvestor allowed it and we all had a ball!  So funny!

We headed to check into our hotel and were able to take a much needed nap.  Shannon's parents graciously had us over for supper that night, along with a few of their friends that were in town.  Her parents live on 10 acres and its pretty country for these city folk.  Mom and I were able to drive her dad's tractor!  We saw wild turkeys!  Drank local beer (Bell's Oberon Ale).  And enjoyed seeing her neighbor's horses: a clydesdale, a baby clydesdale (size of a normal horse), and a miniature horse --  no, I'm not making this up.  All in all, it was a lovely time. 

The next morning, I woke up and finished some "wedding chores."  Nathan's friend Mark, whom we call "Chops" bumped into mom and I in the lobby.  That turned into him driving us over to Horrock's.  This is like a local Wal-Mart of sorts...they have books, groceries, flowers, ice cream, and so much more!  Mom and I picked out some flowers for the rehearsal dinner.  We were all super excited when we found out they had 39 CENT soft serve ice cream!  Chops got a milkshake for about a $1.  What?!  Such a great deal!

As we headed back to the hotel to drop off the flowers, we bumped into mom's sister and brother-in-law.  We all headed to lunch at a nearby bar, Griffin.  The food left much to be desired, but the Schlitz mom and Aunt Linda made me drink in honor of their father, Big Poppy, wasn't too bad.  In a can, no less. 

After lunch, Nathan took the rents and I over to The Greencrest Manor.  This is where the wedding would be and where we'd be staying for the rest of our time in Pure Michigan.  The Greencrest is like a small version of The Biltmore.  After watching a bit of TVon my tiny 12" screen, I got myself ready for the rehearsal.  This Charleston girl was not ready for the COLD of Michigan.  Sure, high 60's are warm to those that reign in the midwest, but not to me!  I survived though, and was ready to chow down at the Reahearsal Dinner -- at the McCamly Plaza.  Steak, salmon, chicken, salads, pastas, and desserts were all awaiting me!  The food was delicious as was the company!  It was great to see family and friends and celebrate Nathan and Shannon. 

Aunt Dean gave the best toast.  I won't do it justice here, but she talked about how most of the people in the room were at my parent's rehearsal dinner -- 30 years ago.  Sadly, Grandmomma and Big Poppy are no longer with us and Granddaddy, Grammy, and Aunt Phyllis couldn't make it to Nathan and Shannon's.  Granddaddy sent a toast via Aunt Dean and she read it (insert me crying).  She talked about getting to know Shannon and how her children had come to know and like her, especially through our family beach vacations.  She then said that at my parent's rehearsal dinner their Aunt Virginia stood up and said she wished my parents as happy of a marriage as she had had.  Aunt Virginia and Uncle Jack had a pretty tough marriage with a lot of ups and downs.  Dean said thats when she learned that marriage wasn't all fun and games...and it struck her that Aunt Virginia could still say she and Jack had a happy one in spite of troubles.  Dean wished Nathan and Shannon as happy of a marriage as she and my Uncle Mike have...

After the RD, Nathan, Shannon, their friends, and I headed out for a bit.  We hit up Arcadia Brewing Company.  I played a rousing game of darts.  Haha.  This place had a really cool atmosphere.  Unlike many bars, however, it closed at 12 on a Friday night.  Since we had a decent sized crowd, they stayed open late for us!  While we headed back to the bed and breakfast, the rest of their friends headed to Griffin -- where we ate lunch and the only other bar in town.  It was a long day and my bed was calling my name...

1 comment:

  1. CHOPS!!! when i read that he was at the wedding it made me reminisce about our Boston trip. Glad you and your family had a great trip!

    ReplyDelete