glitter

Thursday, October 21, 2010

A Rant...and Grace

The state of South Carolina has many things that I'm proud of: rich histry, beautiful beaches, and the best state flag.  However, this state grinds my shorts sometimes.  Two things lately.  1. Though we are in debt up to our eyeballs, this state has decided to hold a lottery of sorts in which 100 state employees that want gastric bypass surgery will be given the surgery for FREE.  Y'all this surgery can cost up to $24k.  I tell you what, I wouldn't mind being entered into a lottery where I could receive $24k for being a healthy government worker.  Grr.... 

Read more here:

and 2. While the US Postal Service has figured out how to forward mail (and I'm very grateful for that capability), our state has not figured out how to use it for car taxes.

I moved Back to Charleston Halloween weekend of last year.  My car taxes and tags and that little sticker thing were due in May.  Since SC isn't able to forward this notification, I didn't think about it.  At some point this summer, I got a new driver's liscense to reflect my Charleston residence.  Whilst in the DMV, I realized I needed to see about my car sticker.  The lady told me I could do it online.  So I tried and failed.  I couldn't find it anywhere.  And life happened and so I forgot.  Flash forward to this weekend.

I'm driving to Spartanburg and realize that I need to get my tag thing taken care of.  Saturday morning we are waiting to leave and Mary Anne points out that my tag is expired.  I know!  I need to work on that...another reminder to take care of it.  As we are caravanning to Presbyterian College, I see flashing blue lights in my rear view mirror.

Slowly pull off the road and into a nearby parking lot.

Officer: Hello, ma'am.  I pulled you over because your tag is expired and your driving seemed a bit erratic.
Me: Yes sir. 
Officer: Could you tell me why your tags are expired?
Me: Tell him about moving to Charleston, asking the DMV, forgetting about it...I know this is my fault.  Actually, my girl friends and I were talking about it this morning and how I really need to fix it.
Officer: Ok, now what's going on with your driving?
Me: I'm just all over the place.  No excuse.  Thinking about a lot of things...
Officer: Where are you headed? 
Me: Presybterian College.  It's homecoming.
Officer: Who are y'all playing?
Me: Yeah...I'm not sure...  (I totally sound like an air head that can't drive.  Is that a line in Clueless?)
Officer:  Well, it looks like I'll have to write you several tickets because I went to Newberry.   (Long pause.)  I'm kidding.  But seriously, you need to pay more attention to the road and get your tags taken care of.
Me: Yes, sir!  Thank you so much!  You're being VERY gracious!
Officer: So, in Charleston are you close to West Ashley?
Me: I live on James Island.
Officer: Whoa...PC and James Island, I really should write you tickets.
Me: You'd really hate me if I told you I grew up in Mt. Pleasant...
Both of us laughed.

How sweet of him to let me go?  Because I was completely in the wrong.  Reminded, once again, of the grace that the Lord gives...

John 1:16-17
And from his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace.  For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.


2 Corinthians 8:9
For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, so that you by his poverty might become rich.

As for my taxes, tag, and sticker...I'm proud to say that they have all been taken care of.  Just over 2.5 miles of walking to Meeting Street over my lunch break in the sun.  Paying the taxes online from my office.  Stopping by the DMV on my way home.  Had the auditor's office fax over the needed info so I could get my sticker that day.  Oh, and I had to pay extra to update my tags and a $75 late fee.  The DMV and I had a nice chat about the absurdities of the state and how come car taxes are not forwarded along with all of the other mail.  One DMV form filled out, along with a letter to Governor Sanford and Mayor Riley, hopefully the system will be changed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment