glitter

Monday, January 31, 2011

Friend? Control freak?

This past week, folks in my small group at church were each assigned a verse to think about.  Here are some thoughts on mine.

James 2:23
and the Scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness”—and he was called a friend of God.

The story that sticks out most to me about abraham is genesis 22 -- when Abraham is called to sacrifice his beloved son, Isaac, to the Lord.  I don't have any children; however, the thought of laying a loved one down to die is a strange and sickening thought.  I surely would not want to do it.  

I was at home sick all last week...one night, Thursday I think?, I was taking a bath and thinking about how I have lots of life issues going on/things to be processing through.  Yet, last week, my body really hasn't allowed that.  My head was too congested to think about anything deeper than what I'll watch next on TV.  However, the blessing in that is me realizing how I don't have control over life's issues.  I get to play an active part, yes, but the Lord is in control.  And the best thing for me to do is surrender...ever the challenge for a control freak like myself.  

Which is why Abraham is someone we can look up to: he surrendered control and did what god asked him to do.  He obeyed.  Among other things, he was willing to sacrifice his own son (sound familiar?!) because the Lord asked him to do it.  He REALLY believed god...and his belief led to obedience...and he was seen as righteous in the lord's eyes.  These things made him a friend of god.  

So I'm left wondering: am I a friend of god?  Sure, I am his daughter.  He loves me.  He provides for me.  But, are we friends? 

No comments:

Post a Comment