glitter

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Food Funnies

Looks like this week has been all about food.  Ok, that goes beyond the blog...a lot of my life is about food. 
 
Jane Harper came over for dinner and Modern Family with Leigh and I last night.  Leigh and I went to the store and came home ready to make stir fry
 
One.  I purchases a bag of brown rice in the store.  Getting home I was thinking rice takes a while, so we should start boiling that first.  But I was pleasantly surprised to look at the bag and see that it cooked in only 5 minutes!  Yay for quick rice!  So I start doing other thing for the meal and Leigh starts on the rice...she's like ok, it will be done in 45-50 minutes.  Me: No, only 5.  Her, no after it boils for like 40-45 minutes, it rests for 5 minutes.  Awesome.  Oh well, we didn't have an appetizer for us or Jane Harper, but we did have Piggly Wiggly fritos.  Go ahead, be jealous!
 
Two.  The recipe called for chicken granuales; so we got some.  Leigh skimmed over the recipe when we were cooking and commented that she didn't see where there were actually used in the recipe.  Hmm.  Later on, while putting the finishing touches on the meal* I re-read the recipe and also found it odd that the bullion was not needed.  Oh well.  While eating, I commented how it was great, but I wish there was more of a sauce.  That's when Leigh told me there should have been one...the bullion.  I read it AGAIN and saw it.  Oh well, there's always room for improvement.  It is also the opposite of Cameron's cooking innovation on Modern Family last night. 
 
Three.  I'm making brownies for dessert.  I mix the batter up and realize that mom was right, they are not putting as much mix in the Triple Chunk box as they used to.  This threw mom into a tizzy because she makes these things by the truckload.  But it hadn't been a problem for me...until last night.  The pan I was using was too big.  So I got smart.  I took the batter out and put it into two smaller pans.  Yes, I'm brilliant.  Into the 350 oven they went.  My brilliance waned when about 2.5 minutes later I saw the egg on then counter.  Damn it!  I quickly flung open the oven door, grabbed the brownies, grabbed a bowl, cracked the egg, whisked it up, split the mixture between the two pans.  Then I yelled for Leigh to stir the egg into one pan while I did the other so as not to have scrambled eggs.  By the time she realized what I was doing, she was laughing so hard she could barely stir.  But they turned out pretty well!  Alsowhipped up some icing to go on top...why not?!
 
In other news, Modern Family was hysterical!  Funniest show on TV.  By far. 
 
* While I was doing that, Leigh and Jane Harper were trying to take a bed apart.  It was nothing short of hilarious.  If at first you don't succeed, try and try and try again until one of you calls your mom and she tells you what to do.   

1 comment:

  1. haha!! what a great night!! so much fun. we need to have another brownie/stir fry night to redeem ourselves. haha

    ReplyDelete