glitter

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Mom Knows Best

If you've ever eaten at my mom's house, you know that I did not grow up in a "healthy home."  Until college my weekly meals often consisted of fried pork chops (at least once a week), friend chicken, friend seafood, country ham steaks, steak (about once a week), etc.  Almost every meal included mashed potatoes or white rice.  And there was a gravy with everything.  I mean everything.  Veggetables were canned...ecxept for okra and squash in the summer...and you guessed it, they were fried! 

Don't get me wrong, her food is quite tasty.  I love it!  But I have tried to eat a bit healthier since I went out into the world on my own.  One, its healthier.  Two, its easier to toss chicken in the oven then to fry it.  Three, while I'm not a bad frier, my fried food isn't quite as good as mom's...in time I hope it will be.  And ok, my shrimp are just as good.  :)

My brother on the other hand, eats pretty healhy.  Lots of organic stuff and vegetables and the likes.  He also runs.  Whatever.  One time he was home for a week and asked my mom to buy reduced-fat mayonaise.  Her response, "I'm not going to do that.  You're not even home long enough for it to make a differnce.  You need to chill out."

A bit of background here:  My mom does not do condiments.  At all.  Like, she hates touching them and she's not afraid to tell you so.  However, when she and my dad got engaged she was told that she would have to buy Duke's mayo.  And only Duke's.  I grew up with it and love it and think it is the best mayo in the world.  And I always buy Duke's. 

I am out and have been using sour cream on my sandwhiches instead of mayo and its surprisingly not bad...but it was time for mayo.  Yesterday in the grocery store I saw the Duke's.  On sale!  And I thought I'd go ahead and try the low fat Duke's.  Why not?  Made my sandwich this morning.  Tried the low fat version.  It.  Is.  Not.  The.  Same. 

Turns out, mom is right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment