glitter

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

This one's for you, Krissie

I was chatting with my BFF Krissie last night and we chuckled at an old memory of ours. She said, "I don't throw in the towel. I don't do that. You know me. And I think it goes back to Disney World." At that point we both started laughing. A lot.

Here's the deal. Our sophomore year we were in Orlando for Spring Break. I am not kidding when I say I think there could have been a National Lampoons movie about our trip, but that's for another post. Any who, we're in Orlando and our friend Elise drives up from Tampa for supper that night. She brought a friend with her along for the ride. It happened to be my 20th birthday and we cooked supper: chicken pockets, broccoli and cheese rice, and I'm sure there was a vegetable and a dessert. After supper we all headed to some Disney World outdoor shopping pavilion. In case you're thinking about going, I'll go ahead and say, it's not that great.

So at some point while 7 of us are meandering through this less-than-stellar shopping place, Krissie and I get into a fight. It has been brewing the whole trip. She's being distant and to herself, and I'm sure my reaction to her wasn't anything to brag about. The fight goes something like this:

EA: Krissie, what's your problem?
Krissie: What are you talking about?
EA: You've been weird and distant this whole trip.
Krissie: Well...
EA: Well what?
Krissie: I don't know how to do this. I don't do this, EA!?!
EA: (At this point we both start yelling. And there may have been some arm flailing.) Don't do what?
Krissie: EA, I don't like to be friends with girls. I don't know how. Boys are easier to hang out with. And I hate going on trips with girls. Ugh!
EA: Well, I'm sorry. But we're friends. So what are you saying?
Krissie: I don't know how to do this!
EA: Well, are you saying you don't want to be friends anymore?
Krissie: I don't know.
EA: Well, let me tell you something, Krissie. Friends stick it out. They fight and they get over it. So you make up your mind right now. Do you want to walk away? Because if you do, we won't be friends any more. Your call!
Krissie: Ugh!

At this point Krissie doesn't affirm me in wanting to be my friend BUT she doesn't walk away. Let me tell you, the car ride was just as fun as the fight. Ha. But the thing is...she didn't walk away. And we've been good friends ever since. Better friends since then. And even better friends since we graduated. I love that.  I love that I can call her anytime and tell her the worst things about myself and I know that she'll still be my friend.  And love me.  And love me WELL. 

And it is probably my most favorite fight I've ever had. One, its really fun to re-enact. Two, I learned a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment