glitter

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

National Lampoon's Spring Break Trip: Part 1 - The Decision

Yesterday's post got me thinking about the infamous Spring Break trip of 2003 and I've decided to do a short series of posts documenting this trip. Hope you enjoy!

Freshman year, my HLP and I did the cool and normal college thing for spring break: a week in a condo with 8 of our closest friends in Destin, Florida. Sophomore year we opted to do something different, yet equally as fun and exciting.

We decided to drive up North with our best friends, Krissie and Aimee. Aimee's grandmother has an apartment and a houseboat in New Jersey. So the plan was for us to stay at one of those places for free and head into the Big Apple for a day and a night. See a play, shop, eat awesome food, etc. We were all pretty stoked.

One day I spotted Aimee on campus and she was with a girl I've never seen before.

EA: Hey Aimee!
Aimee: Hey EA! This is Anette. She's an exchange student from Finland and is going to go to Aiken with us for the weekend [another story] and also go on our spring break trip with us. She'll ride with us and hang out with us some and then stay with her friends in NYC.
EA: Ok...

I go back to my dorm room and honestly, I was kinda pissed. I felt that a decision like that deserved a conversation prior to the decision to bring Anette on our week-long trip with us. However, Aimee has always been the nicer one and so in her mind: why not extend an invitation to Anette? I (eventually) got over it and realized this trip was also going to be a cultural experience. How bad could that be?

Now the winter was especially harsh that year and NJ/NY were having a rough go at it. So Aimee's mom talks to her and suggests that rather than going to see Grandma in NJ, we should go see her Grandpa in Florida. He and his wife, live in a resort, complete with pools, a golf course, and everything we could want for a spring break trip in. Sounded perfect.

When I told my mom we were heading to Florida instead of Jersey she said, "yeah I wondered why the in the hell you'd want to freeze over spring break. And besides, you're a beach girl."

No comments:

Post a Comment