glitter

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Super Fabulous Wonderful Weekend

In honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., I had yesterday off. A three day weekend is kinda like magic. And I love them.

I headed to Spartanburg on Friday after work. My HLP made an awesome supper that did not let me down. Barefoot's chicken picatta and a delicious salad were devoured.

After cooking breakfast on Saturday and lounging around we made the executive decision to head to Charlotte. Mrs. Shelton joined us and it made for quite the awesome day. We started off perusing Mary Jo's Cloth store. It is the Wal-Mart of fabric stores. Huge does not begin to describe the immense amounts of fabrics they sell, all at discount prices. And the clientele made for some amazing people watching. I guess you could say people watching is my hobby, so I was delighted.

Then we headed to land of Swedish furniture, also known as IKEA. Have you been? No? I suggest you get in your car and head up there! It. Was. Awesome. We walked around for several hours enjoying every minute of it. There are so many showrooms and cool things to look at. All of the chairs I sat in were comfortable and the beds were like tiny pieces of heaven. They even had a food court! And free childcare. Pending I get married and have kids, I just found the perfect date spot. Head to IKEA, drop the kids off, shop with your man, get supper...how great does that sound? I deemed IKEA the "United Nations of Furniture" because there were all colors, shapes, ages, etc...all loving the Swedish furniture. If I ever own a home, I plan to take full advantage of their good looking, affordable, comfortable, and practical home decor.

Then we headed to Trader Joe's. I mean, let's be honest, food is where my heart is. Of all the grocery stores I've been to, it is by far the best. You can get awesome, more healthy food, for less. Lots of organic food. Cool packaging. Funky, yet delicious products. For less than than normal grocery store prices. How does that work? I'm not fully sure, but I think it is a crying shame there's not one in SC. I purchased the following:
  • Joe's O's (think Cheerios)
  • 2 bags of chips. (do NOT think Lay's. think vegetables. think flax seed. think super tasty.)
  • Spicy Peach salsa (it is amazing.)
  • Dark chocolate covered edemame (haven't tried and sad that I forgot to bring them to work today.)
  • Toasted crackers with nuts and seeds on them (again, waiting in anticipation to try.)
  • 2 bottles of red wine.
ALL of this for like $22. I know. It's fabulous! Unfortunately, we didn't have a cooler to stock up on refrigerated items. Next time...

We ate at a fun and fancy Mexican restaurant and headed home. Good times were had by all.

Sunday, we heard a good sermon that really encouraged me to do something I'd been putting off. I did it and I think the Lord has already blessed it. I took Sullivan (the best dog in the world) on a delightful walk. And our friend Jacqueline came for supper and to spend the night. Another fantastic meal consisting of: goat cheese with cranberries and crackers as an appetizer (go Costco!), chicken with pesto, mashed sweet potatoes, zucchini carpachhio, and a salad. And these super yummy Weight Watchers ice cream bars for dessert. It was fun catching up and watching Sunday Night TV (Desperate, Brothers & Sisters, an awards show) with Jacqueline.

The day off allowed me to see some good friends. Monday morning I headed over to the Lightcaps house. Frances and I had several hours to catch up on our lives. I've known Frances since my freshman year at PC, and I'm consistently blown away by her. I was trying to think of a word to sum her up, but I can't. She has good insight, is humble, is calming, sassy, honest, resembles Jesus, and much more. It's also really fun to see her be a wife and a mom to three of the cutest, most fun kids I've ever met. The girls are a trip and I love watching them be what they are -- little girls. The tiny male is content and adorable and let me feed him. My right arm was sore this morning when I woke up!

Before coming Back to Charleston, I stopped off in Columbia to see Jenn and Nicole (again!) and meet Ryan (also known as Jenn's new beau). It was fun to see them and be with them and get to know Ryan a little more. I felt like I already knew him, but its good to put flesh with stories. Thankful for our time together!

On the drive home I was thinking how different this trip was then the similar drive home from Spartanburg with a stop in Cola a few months ago. It is neat to see how the Lord has calmed my heart and given me a peace about where He has me now.

The only downer of the weekend was not getting home until almost 11 pm. I'm basically worthless at work today. But it was well worth it!


1 comment: