glitter

Friday, April 9, 2010

Paul Zahl's Grace in Practice

A friend sent me this excerpt a while back:

Grace is love that seeks you our when you have nothing to give in return. Grace is love coming at you that has nothing to do with you. Grace is being loved when you are unlovable. It is being loved when you are the opposite of lovable.

I decided to read it and my brother and Shannon gave it to me as a Christmas present.  I finally got around to reading it this week.  And I LOVED it.  Zahl challenged me a lot.  Especially in my ideas about the law and grace.  And free will.  Some other passages I really liked:

In this theology of every day life, the word of the cross in marriage can take a simple form. It is a plan so simple that it sounds lightweight. The word of the cross in marriage consists of daily exposure, very early in the morning, to the Bible. They read a verse or of the Bible, not more than a few sentences; the husband asks the wife what her prayer request is for the day; the wife asks her husband what his prayer request is for the day; and they pray out loud, briefly and extemporaneously. It takes about ten minutes. It makes all the difference.
...

Birth pangs of compassion. The moment you understand that people are not as free as they think they are, especially in the sectors of compulsion, you are able to have compassion for them. You begin to "try a little tenderness."

No comments:

Post a Comment