glitter

Friday, April 2, 2010

Venting a bit...

Yesterday, Courtney suggested that I meet her and Sullivan at the beach once I got off work.  She'd get my bathing suit and towel from my house and I'd just have to show up.  Sounded perfect.  My first beach trip of 2010.

That idea was de-railed once I got in my car to drive home.  To say that traffic was bad would be quite the understatement.  Imagine NY or ATL rush hour, but on the little ole James Island Connector.  Not cool.  So not cool.  I soon realized I wouldn't make it to the beach.  Tear.  The traffic was so bad at my exit, I assumed there must have been a wreck there, and I'd continue to the next exit and back-track my way home.  I'm not sure if taking my exit would have been faster or not, but it sure as hell couldn't have been slower.  I sat.  And sat.  And sat.  Now, in the midst of making these decisions, I realize that my gas light has come on (of course!), and have been asked to pick up some chips and salsa for snacking.  Also in the course of this time, my blood pressure and anger continued to rise, and rise, and rise. 

Yes, I do have some road rage issues and those issues came out in full force yesterday afternoon.  I eventually made it to the gas station and then headed towards the grocery store.  Have you ever had one of those moments when you were so angry and frustrated that you just wanted to cry?  Well that was the moment I was having when I pulled into Bi-Lo.  Though the tears didn't come, I was exasperated.  So I did what any rational person would do, I pulled straight up into the New Moms / About to Pop a Kid Out parking spots. 

1. I have NEVER parked in a Handicap parking space and completely see the need for those spaces.
2. The mom spots have always bugged me.

If you are a mom and this irritates you, I'm ok with that.  And if I have kids one day, I may be singing a different tune.  But, those spots drive me nuts.  Its not that I'm against those spots, as much as the fact that other people (not just moms) have stressful lives/things going on and might deserve to get a special parking spot once in a while, too.  So I took the liberty of granting myself that special spot yesterday.  And to be honest with you, it felt awesome.  This isn't something I plan on doing all the time, but when in need, why not? 

Of course I almost ran over this cute guy around my age (yes, I'm single) as I was backing out of the mom spot.  He was super nice about it, flashed an attractive smile, and let me back out first, before he went on his merry way.  As I drove off I realized he probably assumed I was a new mom...  I put Blue Indian on repeat and tried to calm myself down before I got home.  The margaritas at home helped.  Normally, I pull into my driveway at 5:00.  Yesterday it was 5:46. 

I almost feel bad writing this post, knowing that there are millions of people in the world that are really suffering...and my trivial problems yesterday were just that: trivial.  But I did go to a really good two hour meeting yesterday about saying "yes" to them when you're really saying "no"...and letting people vent before they blow up.  Oh the irony...

1 comment:

  1. aww you are adorable and used to hate the james island connector on fridays when i lived over there! hope you have a great Easter weekend and make it to the beach today!

    ReplyDelete