glitter

Friday, December 2, 2011

Honduras: Saturday

After the morning routine, Shannon and I went to Armenia, a neighborhood where a lot of MTW work is going on.  She'd been invited to a high school graduation party for Aleilei (sp?).  Shannon and the MTW team is close with this family and it was an honor to be there.  Graduating from high school is a really big deal when so many kids don't get much of an education at all.  They invited us to come over around 10 am; the real party was that night, but the gang in their neighborhood has imposed a 6 pm curfew -- as in, if you're not in your house by 6 pm, we reserve the right to kill you.  

Such a far cry from my own life...

The family was quite hospitable.  The parents have 6 daughters and the youngest is a son.  One of the nephews was scared of white people --  naturally, it became my goal for me to win him over.  I don't think that happened.  Theresa, the mom, prepared arriz con pollo and homemade tortillas.  It was very authentic and very delicious.  All cooked on an outdoor stove/outdoor kitchen.  I wish I had pictures, but left my camera in the car and didn't want to be too invasive.  We hung out for a few hours and  just enjoyed our time with them.

Shannon and I ran some errands when we left including going by a gift shop, the ATM, and stopping by the Pettingill's home.  We went outside for Shannon to pick up some herbs Erin grew for her and I inquired about a tree in their backyard.  It looked like faint green grapefruits.  Y'all, they were limes!  The biggest lime you've ever seen in your whole life!  Erin gave me one and I just loved it.  Haha.

We met up with Kate and Caitlyn to do some grocery shopping and then went to the mall for some Christmas decor.  We got snacks of baleadas -- homemade tortilla with refried beans, cheese, and egg.  I pass on the egg and get avocado.  Quite good.

Once home, boys came in and out to be fed supper.  We did the Shred, showered, and headed to dinner at Expats: a restaurant/bar owned and operated by an American.  The nachos and the margarita were yummy.  I caught a brief glimpse of the Clemson/Carolina game before all the tv's became dedicated to soccer.  Apparently they even have a phone where you can call America free of charge.  I have to say, the setting was fabulous and it can be a nice respite for those living south of the border.

We used the biggest lime ever to make a round of mojitos at home.  Y'all, the lime tasted as good as it was big.  Shannon and I stayed up pretty late talking that night, before heading to bed.  I have to say, I slept really well in Honduras.

-----

That day, the Shred got interrupted so Shannon could take a Skype call.  One of her best friends was engaged.  To a boy Shannon had never met.  She was super excited for them...but it made me see the reality of living so far away, so far from the world you were once a part of.  You really do have to count the cost of living for Jesus.  Because when He calls us, we are to go.  And going means leaving something behind.  And leaving things behind can be really hard.

I was thankful to see this reality for their team.  An engagement to someone you'll meet after the fact.  Losing a parent.  Knowing homesickness is likely just around the corner since you've only been gone a week.  Not being told that cousins had more children, etc.  Life goes on and sometimes others' lives go on without you.

The Cost of Following Jesus
Matthew 8:18Now(Y) when Jesus saw a crowd around him,(Z) he gave orders to go over to the other side. 19(AA) And a scribe came up and said to him, "Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go."20And Jesus said to him, "Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head." 21Another of the disciples said to him, "Lord, let me first go and bury my father." 22And Jesus said to him, "Follow me, and leave(AB) the dead to bury their own dead." (ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment