glitter

Friday, December 2, 2011

Honduras: Sunday

Shannon got up and made pumpkin bread for us to eat Sunday morning.  After prayer, we decorated the Christmas tree procured the day before.  And by we, I mean Shannon and Kate.  The lights were strung, along with some fancy ribbon found at the Honduran version of Kohls.  We headed to "Gringo Church."

Their team, plus Caitlyn and I, met at the Pettingill's house.  We sang some songs and had a time of corporate prayer.  Then Mike shared from Romans.  We closed by lighting the advent candle, praying, and one more song.  We ate a lunch of yummy chili, rum punch, and buttered toast.  According to her husband, Erin could have been on America's Worst Cooks in 2007.  Then they moved to Honduras.  As she got frustrated that she couldn't buy the things she wanted, she started making them and learning what makes good substitutes.  She's amazing.  She's the one that made the homemade Reese cups.  So good!  And she told me, "you can spend a few hours making good bread...or you can spend a few days making great bread."  While I make good bread in a bread machine, she makes great bread by hand.  Her toast was awesome.  And the day before I got a sample of a craisen cinnamon bread.  Amazing!

At home, Christopher came over to cut the grass and eat some supper.  We shredded and showered.  Then we picked up Jeffrey (and here: front cover) and headed to Spanish church.  I didn't understand much/any of the sermon audibly, but was able to follow along with the hand out fairly well.  I loved the worship.  I recognized some songs, and got acquainted with others.  It was a sweet time and I really felt like I met with the Lord while I was there.  We took Jeffrey home after church (most of the boys seem to have a 7:00 curfew) and went to supper.  Shannon's friend Heather joined us; they met in language school in Costa Rica and she now works as an intern for the church we'd just attended.

Supper was great; I had plaintains resembling french fries, a taco, and a baleada with meat.  During the meal, Kate shared with me her story of ending up in Honduras...falling in love with street children in Peru, wanting to go to Peru full time, meeting Mike Pettingill, spending a week with them in Honduras, and knowing the Lord was calling her there.  Regarding her week stay, she said, "there was nothing magical about the week...but I knew.  And then I remember being in the shower and praying and the hearing the Lord tell me to go."  Then Kate spotted two boys outside of the restaurant; she invited them to sit with us, demolish the rest of my plaintains, and treat them to baleadas.  It was pretty cool because they'd actually been to Shannon's old house a few times.  We took them home, then Heather, then headed home ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment