glitter

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Honduras: Thursday

I woke up pretty early on Thanksgiving day which gave me time to read my Bible in bed.  That's something that happens about never on a regular day.  Shannon and her roommates pray together in the morning and it was a sweet time.  It became one of my favorite things about their lives.

And then the cooking began.  A few friends from language school were coming over to cook and eat with us; however, they couldn't find what they needed in the store.  Finding Thanksgiving foods in Honduras is by no means guaranteed.  Shannon left to help them and said the following should be made while she was gone: pumpkin pie, pumpkin dip, apple crisps (one for today and one for tomorrow).  I joked and asked how long she'd be gone -- 2 hours?  Well, when you end up going to 4 stores looking for something, 2 hours is about right.  Haha.

With Shannon gone, I was in charge of the kitchen.  One thing about me is I don't often share a kitchen well.  I like to be in charge and do my own thing.  Since neither Kate or Caitlyn minded, I gladly took over the kitchen.  To my surprise, we'd accomplished all the things on our list by the time Shannon returned home, along with Amanda, Bridey, and Sarah.  We joined forces and added chocolate pecan pie, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, and dressing to our repertoire.  Now, someone decided to put sausage in the dressing.  This would be a first for me, but it sounded yummy.  I was going to cook the Italian sausage, as I was told, and soon realized it was actually chorizo.

I'm by no means anti-chorizo, and have cooked the links before.  Yet, it is not my favorite of all the sausages and this crumbly style (tube package) was very different to cook.  The liquid content was higher than what I was used to, but alas it worked.  We added it to half the dressing and therefore had regular as well as Hispanic dressing.  I should note, that of the 3 dressing choices at lunch, I took the plunge and went with the Hispanic dressing.  It certainly wasn't traditional, but it tasted quite good!

We loaded up Shannon's Ford escape with all 7 of us and all of our dishes.  We ate Thanksgiving lunch with The MTW team -- the Pettingills and the Clows, as well as their friends from Chicagoland.  With the kids, there were a total of 19 of us.  The food was traditional and delicious. I ate too much; home made Reece's peanut butter cups were my favorite.  Yes, I said home made and they were better than the store brand.

The afternoon consisted of eating desserts, getting to know people, drinking some scotch whiskey on the rocks (this was a first for me, but it was very smooth), and playing games like Categories/Scategories.  It turns out that I know nothing about Australia...and neither did the folks I played with (guess you had to be there for that).  Before I knew it, it was pretty late.  We dropped our friends off and headed home.  I'd like to tell you that I didn't eat supper that night, but I couldn't go to bed without another piece of chocolate pecan pie.

Some of you know that I love puzzles.  My most favorite being Unicornicopia done with B5 back in the day.  We started a 1,500 piece puzzle of a scene in London (or somewhere).  I'm sad that I won't be able to work on the puzzle until it's complete.  I'm also sad that we had to start the puzzle no less than three times due to people putting it back in the box.  Thanks el  nino and thanks Kate.  Don't worry, we had a serious conversation about the puzzle after the last debacle.  Kate would love to tell you about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment