glitter

Monday, December 5, 2011

Honduras: Other things to note

  • Fans.  For those that can afford them, they are perhaps the greatest tangible asset you can have in Honduras.
  • You can use your American ATM card and get Limpira out
  • Kate and Jenn are friends from living together in Mexico for 3 years many moons ago.  Small world.  I love that connection!
  • Booze is very cheap and readily sold in grocery stores (I'd say 1/2 of what it costs here)
  • I love Kate's dog, Barnabas.  He's my 2nd favorite dog in the world, behind Sullivan of course.  If you're in the market for a pup, I suggest a mini golden doodle.
  • There's a lot of poverty.  It never gets easy to see.
  • While I'm not trying to minimize the poverty I saw, it wasn't nearly as widespread as it was in Haiti.
  • 5 years of high school classes and 1 college course were definitely helpful for me.  My Spanish leaves much to be desired, but it was fun to attempt and use the little I know.
  • You can flush the toilet, but toilet paper goes in the trash can.  This was the case everywhere I went.
  • Shannon's house had hot water, but this is not a guarantee in your home.
  • Shannon has a friend, Matt, that literally sold his home and moved to the tin village by the river to live with the people he's ministering to.  Talk about challenging.
  • Restaurants are not good at changing orders.   You want to change something, good luck.  Shannon's theory, that makes a lot of sense, is that with little to no education, critical thinking skills aren't very developed.  While removing cheese and adding meat may not sound challenging to you and I, apparently it is to a lot of people.  My time in Honduras really made me value my education and appreciate the skills it taught me that I tend to take for granted.
Love this song:

No comments:

Post a Comment