glitter

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A Million Miles...

I read Donald Miller's newest book, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years over the weekend and LOVED it. I've read all of his books and I love them all. I dig his writing style. I admire his honesty and the way he makes me feel like we are friends. I think he shares Jesus and makes loving and living for the Lord seem so refreshing. And let's be honest, I wouldn't mind going on a date with Don, either. Haha. Here are a few of my favorite excerpts from the book:

I think this is when people give up on their stories. They come out of college wanting to change the world, wanting to get married, wanting to have kids and change the way people buy office supplies. But they get into the middle and discover it was harder than they thought. They can't see the distant shore anymore, and they wonder if their paddling is moving them forward. None of the trees behind them are getting smaller and none of the trees ahead are getting bigger. They take it out on their spouses, and they go looking for an easier story (179).

All of this may sound depressing to you, but I don't mean it to be. I've lived some good stories now, and those stories have improved the quality of my life. But I've also let go of the idea things will ever be made perfect, at least while I am walking this planet. I've let go of the idea that this life has a climax. I'm trying to be more Danish, I guess. And the thing is, it works. When you stop expecting people to be perfect, you can like them for who they are. And when you stop expecting material possessions to complete you, you'd be surprised at how much pleasure you get in material possessions. And when you stop expecting God to end all your troubles, you'd be surprised how much you like spending time with God (206).

Check out his blog: http://donmilleris.com/
Some other books I've read over the past few months:

  • The Great Divorce. I thought this book was uber strange. I wanted to like it, but couldn't. Maybe I'm not smart enough to understand it. My friend Leigh loves it, but she's much smarter than I am...especially when it comes to literature and the likes.
  • The Revenge of the Kudzu Debutantes. This is a quick and easy read. Funny and southern. A perfect beach read!
  • Gap Creek. This was an Oprah book club book at some point. Easy to read. Not bad, but certainly not one of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment