glitter

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Mirror

I've been reading through 1 Samuel and pairing the Bible with Dale Ralph Davis' commentary.  Let me say that if think the old testament is boring or hard to draw personal application from, please read a Dale commentary.  I think he could write about dirt and make it sound exciting and revolutionary.  The actual scripture is exciting and revolutionary...and sometimes its good to have another's insight to show you the depths of its wonder.  I just finished chapter 8 and loved it.  It's been my favorite chapter so far, and Dale neatly summarizes why:

First Samuel 8 is your mirror; it reveals Israel and you. How easily you misplace your trust; how ashamed you are to be different; how resistant to any word that does not agree with your opinion. There – you are revealed.

Misplaced trust.  Shame.  Resistance.  If not now, at some point each of us wrestles with these things.  So the question becomes, what do you do when you find these uglies in your life?  "Jesus" is the answer.  Turn to Him, submit to Him, trust Him, proclaim Him.  It doesn't feel like it is that easy.  Or maybe it is and I'm too lazy and stubborn to do it.  I guess I'm trying to figure out what that actually looks look in this life of mine...I think its an on-going process that I'll still be learning on my death bed or when Jesus comes back.  Whichever comes first. 

Philippians 1:6
And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion the day of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment