glitter

Thursday, June 3, 2010

How's your marriage?

The other day I noticed that I'd written this in my Bible: how's my marriage to the Lord?

Hmmm...
I have no idea what sermon I heard that made me jot that down, but it really got me thinking. First, I love that all believers are married to the Lord. So that relationship is/should be our priority. Second, I think God is beyond gender, so if you're a man, you are still married to the Lord. Third, (ok, I actually read this somewhere) people are not called to be single. We are all born single and some are called to get married. So even if you are single (like this awesome curly-haired short girl I know), you are able to grasp and experience, marriage.

I've been thinking a LOT lately about what it means to be in a relationship with the Lord.  He's your spouse, your best friend, your sister/brother, parent, coach, mentor, all in one.  He's the God of the universe.  He created the heavens and the earth and all that is in them.  Think about that for a second.  Wow!  AND he wants to be in a relationship with me...the only problem I've run into is: what does that look like?  So I've been trying to think about God&I as a marriage.  And since I'm not married, the best way for me to grasp marriage is to look at the marriages around me and draw from my other relationships.  I'm pretty sure that if I get married, I'll have to thank my best friends for preparing me.

We love each other, serve each other, fight, press on, make each other laugh, tell each other the truth, spend lots of time together (when we are able), and eat good food together.  But I think it is more challenging when you are the only one walking around in flesh (currently). 

I read this and think it says what I want to understand/live out: The abiding awareness of the Christian life is to be God Himself, not just thoughts about Him. The total being of our life inside and out is to be absolutely obsessed by the presence of God. A child’s awareness is so absorbed in his mother that although he is not consciously thinking of her, when a problem arises, the abiding relationship is that with the mother. In that same way, we are to “live and move and have our being” in God.   http://utmost.org/are-you-obsessed-by-something/

So I'm not sure how my marriage with the Lord is going.  I think we're still feeling things out.  It seems funny to say that since I've been a Christian for almost 11 years.  But I think about my parents.  They'll celebrate their 30th wedding annivsary this month and they're still learning things about the other person and how to live together, etc.  I know that I know the Lord more today than I did a decade ago and I think that means I'm moving in the right direction.  And sometimes that's all I can ask for...

No comments:

Post a Comment