glitter

Monday, June 21, 2010

It's a BIG one!

Donald Miller's blog post on Friday made me remeber how grateful I should be that my dad loves me and is a strong presence in my life. 


So I decided to do whatever he wanted on Sunday for Father's day.  He wanted to go fishing.  Awesome!  I love fishing!  I don't however like getting up at 6:30 in the morning to go fishing...but I would do it for dad.  Luckily my parents were running a bit behind as well, and there was less pressure to be "uppity."  I swung by the grocery store to snag lunch, then met my parents, and we were on the water by 8 o'clock.  AM! 

We headed out to the "grilledge" off of Sullivan's Island.  It was beautiful.  However, I do have to wonder if my stomach is getting weak in my old age...I got queasy being out there.  I didn't feel well, but the Ritz crackers helped...and then there was no time to be queasy when Dad's big line went off.  From the minute we saw the rod tip bend down, we knew this fish was going to be a fighter! 

Yes, it was my Dad's rod.  Yes, he casted the rod.  Yes, it was Father's Day.  No, he did not stand a chance of reeling this fish in or getting to claim it as his own...that was all mom!  Ha!  It fought her for a good 5-10 minutes, and according to Dad, with the type of line and drag on the reel, that's a big deal.  I'm pretty sure this was one of mom's top 10 moments of joy in her life.  It was pretty fun to watch her be so excited!

The fish weighed 20 pounds!  While we didn't measure it, Dad and I both think it was at least 3 feet long!  Of course, Mom now wants to catch a 42 inch Red fish!  Haha.  There has been talk of submitting it to a magazine or something...I'll be sure to let you know if that happens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment