glitter

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Birthday Weekend Recap

I successfully turned 28 and had one of hell of a good weekend celebrating it!  The office brought me delicious cupcakes from Rococo and I decided (last minute) to leave work early -- always a nice little treat!  Maggie, Shannon, Mary Anne, and Winston (4 legged friend) started arriving around 4 pm and it was so fun to catch up and eat a snack.  We had Mary Glenn's fiesta casserole and an awesome salad (thanks, Maggie!) for supper.  Courtney and Sullivan arrived in time out.  Don't worry, Sullivan escaped but was fairly quick to return to the back yard while we headed to Sugarland!

I'm not a huge country music fan, but have actually seen Sugarland before.  They are SO good in concert!  So energetic!  I really enjoy their music, but I have to say, I think the cover songs they do are always my favorite.  This time they did parts of Sweet Caroline, Oops I did it Again, Forget You, and maybe something else?!  And they did all of Like a Prayer!  It was awesome.  Some other concert highlights:  Jennifer Nettles fell.  Christian helped her up -- such a gent!  Then she made a joke about it.  They gave away an autographed guitar.  Jennifer called someone's mom and talked to them on the phone!

Saturday morning we woke up and had mimosas, fresh fruit, breakfast casserole, and homemade cinnamon rolls.  So good!  After all that eating we needed to rest so we were entertained by the Kardashians for a while.  I have to say, the episode where Scott buys a cane made me laugh out loud for about 20 minutes straight.  We took the four legged friends on a walk to a nearby dock and lounged in the sun for a while...with more mimosas.  When we got back home, Krissie was there!  We ate lunch snacked on all kinds of yummies.  And then Shannon and I were surprised with one of the best cakes I've ever had for our birthdays: chocolate with chocolate icing from A Piece of Cake in ATL.  OMG.  Amazing.  Like, seriously, get some of this cake if you are able...you will not be disappointed!

Some of our crowd took naps while the rest of us decided to head out to the front yard to enjoy more sunshine and each other's company.  I've said it before, but I'll say it before, a huge plus to living where I do, is people not caring what you do.  It totally wasn't out of the ordinary to have fivish of us chillin' in the front yard, including the backless rocker, and a "coffee table" made of two five gallon buckets and a wake board.  We showered and at some point Jenn came into town!

We headed to Bowens for supper.  Fried shrimp, fried oysters, frogmore stew, steamed oysters, boiled shrimp, hushpuppies, and cold beer.  What more could you ask for?  Afterwards, we headed to the Island Bar and Grille.  I hadn't been since college and, quite frankly, had forgotten about it.  I'm so glad Maggie remembered!  It is this smalll, local bar that is so easy going.  Best of all, they have karaoke!  The B5 girls did Fresh Prince (we missed you, Mary Alice!).  Maggie and I couldn't have sung Sweet Caroline any better!  And Krissie and I ended the night to the Elton John and Kiki Dee duet, Don't go Breaking My Heart.  It had been a few years since I'd done karaoke, and I'm not sure why it took so long -- I LOVE it!  We all had a ball and headed home to eat some more...do you see a theme in the post blog about food?

Jenn made Shannon and I an Oreo cake that was out of this world.  Seriously, two of the best cakes I've ever put in my mouth were devoured this weekend.  It was like a cookies and creme cake with a rich vanilla icing and Oreos on top.  So good!  So good in fact that Sunday morning, I crawled in bed with Maggie and Courtney and we got three forks and went to town on the cake.  :)

Jenn and Mary Anne headed out fairly early and the rest of the gang ate breakfast together.  Shims left and then there were four.  We did what we do best: sit and chat.  We sat outside for a while in the sun.  It felt so good!  (Until later that night when I realized the right side of my body was -- and still is -- fried!)  Jane Harper and her pup swung by for a bit.  After a while we were ready for lunch (shocker) and headed to Moe's.  Courtney, Sullivan, and Maggie departed from there and Krissie and I headed home.  She soon left me, too, and then there was just one.

All in all, it couldn't have been a more fun weekend.  Great food, good entertainment, some of my most favorite people in the world all together...best way to kick off year 28!

1 comment: