glitter

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Bow Tie Fiesta Casserole

Mary Glenn gave me this recipe a few years ago and I love it.  It is really easy to make, easy to adapt to what you have in the pantry/fridge, and is great leftover.  It feeds a lot and everyone I've served it to has really enjoyed it.  It can be made a day ahead of time and sit in the fridge (covered) until you are ready to bake it.
  • 8 ounces bow tie pasta (can be any pasta)
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • ½ onion, chopped ( I use the whole onion)
  • ½ green bell pepper, chopped (I use the whole pepper)
  • 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • Salt to taste
  • 1 cup sour cream (can be light or fat free)
  • 1 cup salsa
  • ½ cup sliced back olives (I omit)
  • ¼ cup sliced jalapenos (I omit and use medium salsa)
  • 1 tomato, chopped
  • 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (I use 2 cups; can be reduced fat)
·      Cook the pasta using package directions and cooking for 7 minutes; drain.
·      Brown the beef in a skillet, stirring until crumbly; drain.  Add the onion and green pepper and mix well.
·      Cook until the onion is tender, stirring constantly.  Stir in the tomato sauce, chili powder and salt.
·      Combine the pasta, ground beef, mixture, sour cream, salsa, black olives, jalapenos and tomato in a bowl and mix well.  Spoon into a 9x11 inch or 9x9 inch baking dish.  [I always use a 9x13 baking dish; however, the last time I made it it was overflowing and so I transported into a 10x15.]  Sprinkle with cheese.

·      Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes or until brown and bubbly.

1 comment: