glitter

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Forgotten God

Courtney let me borrow this book and I read it last week.  I've read Francis Chan's Crazy Love and was excited to read his newer book, Forgotten God, as well.  Chan reminds me, yet again, why it is important to have a relationship with the Holy Spirit.  This book isn't too heady and I'd recommend it to anyone.


When the disciples heard that 2,000 years ago, I'm sure it was hard for them to grasp.  How could it be better to trade a human Jesus -- a man they could talk to and eat and laugh with -- for a Spirit they couldn't physically see?  Thousands of years later, I think most of us would also choose a physical Jesus over an invisible Spirit.  But what do we do with the fact that Jesus says it is better for His followers to have the Holy Spirit?  Do we believe Him?  If so, do our lives reflect that belief (35)?


I think a lot of us need to forget about God's will for my life.  God cares more about our response to His Spirit's leading today, in this moment, than about what we intend to do next year.  In fact, the decisions we make next year will be profoundly affected by the degree to which we submit to the Spirit right now, in today's decisions (120).


I don't want my life to be explainable without the Holy Spirit.  I want people to look at my life and know that I couldn't be doing this by my own power.  I want to live in such a way that I am desperate for Him to come through.  That if He doesn't come through, I am screwed (142).

No comments:

Post a Comment