glitter

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Granola Fail

Many moons ago, I came across a random blog and it mentioned that she made her own laundry detergent.  It seemed simple enough.  I'm not fully sure why I resolved to give it a go, but I did.  I use clear and free detergents already and I'm not the granola type.  But there was something appealing about trying this.  So I figured when my detergent ran out, I'd make my own*.

I ran out.  I bought bars of soap (Ivory) at Wal-Mart one night, but couldn't remember what else goes in the mixture.  As laundry day was coming up last week, I decided to go ahead and grate the soap for the detergent and then pick up the other ingredients.  I checked online and, yes!, you can grate soap in the Magic Bullet.  Well, I'm glad that works out for some people, but it didn't work for me.  Ha!  I think you need liquid in the Bullet to properly grind things.  So I hand grated the sop -- not hard -- especially if you haven't made a mess of the soap in the Bullet.

Now, I have 3 bars of Ivory soap grated.  All I have to do is add Borax and washing soda.  Easy as pie.  Assuming you can find these products.  I have not been successful!  Neither the James Island Wal-Mart or the (older) Mt. Pleasant Wal-Mart sells them.  Sheesh.  This is what I get for attempting to be granola!

Mom was with me as I looked in Mt. Pleasant...she basically said, WTF?  Ha!  All of that to say, I've been working on my laundry this week (you know, since I do it once a month) with regular detergent.  I'm still on the prowl for Borax and washing soda so please let me know if you've seem them in the Charleston area!


* I think it is supposed to be cheaper, but I have no idea how much the ingredients cost...so the verdict is still out on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment