glitter

Monday, March 1, 2010

Have you read it?!?

I feel as though I’m the last Christian to read this book, even though I know it’s not true. I purchased The Shack in November 2008 with the intention of reading it over my Christmas break (remember when I went to grad school and had a Christmas break again?!?! It was awesome.). I was having a hard time with the Lord and thought reading this book would “fix” that. I remember talking to one of my dearest friends, Leigh Stuckey, about it – sharing my hopes for this book to restore me in my faith. And also sharing with her how I’d read the forward and was not impressed in the least. So I never made it to Chapter 1.

Well I’ve been on a reading kick lately and decided to give it another try. I’d heard it was awesome and that you can “look past the iffy theology”. Having been around conservative, reformed Christians* since my early college years, I was not surprised by this type of comment. However, I was surprised when I devoured The Shack and LOVED it. And honestly, I think I learned more “good theology” from this book than any conservative, reformed, “right” conference or talk or sermon I’ve ever heard. Perhaps that makes me less deep than others, but if this is wrong, I don’t want to be right.

For me, William Young captures the heart of Christianity and humanity and God more than anything else I’ve ever read. Period. He brilliantly tells a tale that made me fall more in love with Jesus. I don’t want to share details, in case you have not read the book, but I would highly encourage you to give it a whirl. It’s not often that I re-read books, but I think I’ll be re-reading this one for years to come.

* I, too, am reformed in my theology and consider myself to be conservative in my theology. Not trying to dog anyone…

No comments:

Post a Comment