glitter

Monday, March 22, 2010

One Crazy Saturday: Part 1

The day started out when I met mom in West Ashley at 10:00 am. I had a bunch of errands to run and invited her to come along. I also owed her lunch for doing my taxes and Saturday was the dat to pay (a great deal for me!). After perusing Stein Mart (where we met up), we headed to GDC Home and picked up some fabric for my HLP. We then hit up one mall and proceeded on to Bed, Bath, and Beyond, where I needed to pick up several wedding and shower gifts. Next on our list was Sams and Wal-Mart...because I was finally ready to make the big girl purchase of a TV! Wal-Mart had a 26" Vizio for $308 and I was sold. Of course they were out of stock, but the lovely sales girl called another store and told us they had two.

So Rivers Avenue (North Charleston) would be our next area of errands. But not before lunch at a mutual favorite Zaxby's. Can't beat the Big Zack Snack Pack! Yum!

You may remember that one of my dear friends, Jenn, is getting MARRIED! She's been letting me help work on some of the wedding details and it has been so fun! I was looking for some of the items we'd been discussing, so a trip to AC Moore was in store. Mom and I were pretty much hilarious (if you have met my mother, this is not hard to imagine) making up a mock table-scape (anyone else think of Sandra Lee? ) for the reception. Mom made a friend and insisted on getting her opinion as well. Mom tends to make friends wherever she goes and Saturday was no exception. We got out of AC Moore with the items we'd set out to purchase (mom even got Jenn 30% on some items just because she's a smooth talker with sales folks).

We head out to the car to load up all the items before hitting up Wal-Mart to pick up my TV. As I'm putting lots of wedding goodies in my trunk, I'm shuffling around all the gifts I'd purchased earlier. Somehow my keys were dropped and then before realizing it my truck was slammed shut. THEN I realize it. Mom, we may have a problem -- keys in the trunk. For the next little bit Mom and I tried all of our options:
  1. Pop the trunk open. This, of course, is broken. I never use it anymore and only use my key to get into the trunk. Dad realized it when he and I were washing my car last month, but I didn't get it fixed. Nor did I/do I plan to...but clearly mom disagreed there.
  2. I happen to keep my spare clicker in the car for when I used to go walking, etc. around Clemson. My clicker does not have a trunk button. Awesome.
  3. Fold down the backseats in my car to get to the trunk. I can't make the button press down to pull the seat down. Neither can mom. Neither can the huge man in the truck watching us act a fool. Turns out there is a safety mechanism and something inside the trunk is locked hence we cannot fold the seats down.
  4. Mom asks if I have one of those hidden spare keys things on my car.  I do not because they always fell off my old car...I went through several before giving up.  Of course mom and dad use them and they don't fall off their cars.
  5. Dad is fishing an hour north of Mt. Pleasant so he's pretty much out of pocket. Great.
  6. Call AAA to have them send a locksmith. Mom called them and they tell her they can't open a trunk, but only car doors because they go in through the window.
  7. Mom refuses to call a friend and ask them to drive all the way out to North Charleston and help us get back to her car in West Ashley.
  8. One of my roommates is out of town. The other was in a bar.
We decide to cool off in the Wal-Mart and I can at least buy/put my TV on hold. Wait, they don't have any in the store. In fact they tell me they're not selling this TV anymore. They realize I'm in a bit of a tizzy (read steps 1-7) and are super sweet. They called the James Island, both Mt. Pleasant, and Goose Creek (like I know where that is) stores to check for me. Nope. None of them carry this TV. And, no, there is not a comparable one in there.

Around this time mom gets the brilliant idea of calling a cab. So we do. Mom asks how much cash I have.  Answering $0 was icing on her cake.  He showed up and offered a flat rate (which turned out to be cheaper). $24 later mom and I were at her car in West Ashley. We then drove to my house in James Island, got our spare key, and retrieved my spare car key. Then we made the treck back to North Charleston...and mom stopped by the liquor store on the way to replenish her supply of Kaluah...because she would be needing a drink when she finally made it home. The keys were found and all was settled. Please note that it took around 3 hours from the time I realized my mishap until we the keys were back in my hand.
 
...to be continued...

1 comment:

  1. yes please continue, i'm loving it and dying laughing!

    ReplyDelete