glitter

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Weekend Recap: Sunday & Monday

Courtney and I left our respective hosts around 9:30 Sunday morning to drive Back to Charleston.  My brother, Nathan, and his fiance, Shannon, flew in from Chicago Saturday.  Their friend, Halleran (lovingly called Hally), picked them up in Charlotte and drove them to Charleston.  Courtney and I met up with them at the pool to head out for a boat ride.  This is after Courtney and I devoured 1/3 pound charbroiled thick burgers and fries from Hardees.  Nothing says "bathing suit" more than a thick burger...

Girl, you got what I need...

We headed under the Ravenel Bridge and then up in Shem Creek...and just strolled along.  It felt amazing outside and the views were stunning.  I don't care how long I've lived in Charleston, I am always amazed at the beauty of this place.  I love the smell of the marsh.  The friendliness of others on their boats.  The camaraderie of those that love not only the South, but the coast.  It really was such a fun day for the 5 of us.  We anchored and swam and loafed around. 

But you say I'm just a friend...

At some point, we picked mom up to join us in the harbor cruise.  With her, she brought pizza, watermelon, more brownies, and replenished our stock of beer and water...

Oh baby you (oh baby you)

Got what I need (got what I need, yeah)
But you say I'm just a friend (say I'm just a friend)*

We snagged Dad and headed to hear the East Coast Party Band play from the pier beneath the Ravenel Bridge.  And then once it was dark, the fireworks began!  We saw the Mt. Pleasant, Charleston, North Charleston, and James Island fireworks from where we were in the water.  It was an awesome way to celebrate the 4th of July! 
 
Usually we are with my dad's side of the family.  Growing up, we went to family reunions at Lake Hartwell.  My cousin posted this pic the other day:
 
 
I couldn't make it any bigger without getting super fuzzy.  I'm guessing I'm around 12 in this picture.  From left to right: Nathan (my brother, around 10, and taller than me), Virginia (around 5, and soon to be taller than me; her brother Matthew is not in this picture, but would have been around 2), Megan (also around 5), Taylor (Megan's brother, and around 3), then me.  My dad and both of his sisters had two children: a girl and then a boy 2 or 3 years later.  Today, all 6 of us have curly, brown hair, and could pass as siblings.  For the past several years, we've been at a beach hose together at Wrightsville.  While I'm a bit sad that we weren't all together, and weren't at that beach house, it was a perfect runner-up 4th of July!

America is far from perfect, but even with all of it its imperfections, I'm thankful that I live here. 

It was so nice to have Monday off! Courtney and I headed to Jane Harper's beach house to lay out with her and my big sister in ADPi, Lindsey! A great ending to a fabulous weekend!

 
* This song was stuck in our heads for most of the day.  It took my brother about 45 minutes to find and play the correct version on Shannon's iPhone.  He's special.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recap, I loved experiencing the weekend through your perspective!

    ReplyDelete