glitter

Monday, August 23, 2010

Fried Green Tomatoes

Yes, I do love to eat them!  They are so tasty.  But I also LOVE the movie.  It's a quintessential Southern chick flick.  It came on TV last night and I watched.  First, the channel it was on (Encore, I think?) didn't play any commercials = awesome.  Second, I forgot how much I love that movie.  It's even better watching it now as a (so-called) grown up than as a child.  I cried off and on throughout the whole movie (granted, I was a bit emotional before I watched it, but still...).  Some of the things I love about it:
  1. Friendship.  This is especially shown through Ruth and Idgie.  Their friendship is sacrificial and full of love.  In different capacities, they rescue each other and give one another new leases on life.  As best friends, they become each other's family. 
  2. Kindness.  So often, there is a discrepancy between the haves and the have-nots.  I love that all people come together in this story, bestowing kindness on each other.  Be it providing a meal to a homeless man, treating a person with respect that society feels deserves none, or making someone laugh in their time of sorrow.
  3. Empowerment.  We can either let life happen or be a part of it.  Through telling her old stories, Mrs. Threadgoode gives Evelyn the boost she needs to gain some control in her own life and become the woman she wants to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment