glitter

Friday, June 24, 2011

Can't Shake It

I just can't seem to shake Haiti.  It permeates so many of my thoughts throughout the day.  I assume this will end at some point, but I'm glad for it while it is start on my heart and in my head.

I can't say that I'm a huge fan of Christian music; I find a lot of it to be full of cheese and more comical than glorifying.  (Am I the only one?  Also, what is the correct way to act at a Christian concert?  It is so bizarre to me...I digress.)  However, I've always enjoyed Derek Webb, especially the old stuff.  Since Haiti, I've loved listened to him a lot and especially this song.  How I long for my life to reflect these words...


Derek Webb’s I Repent

I repent of my pursuit of America's dream
I repent of living like I deserve anything
My house, my fence, my kids, and my wife
In our suburb where we're safe and white
I am wrong and of these things I repent

I repent of parading my liberty
I repent of paying for what I get for free
The way I believe that I am living right
By trading sins for others that are easier to hide
I am wrong and of these things I repent

I repent judging by a law that even I can't keep
Wearing righteousness like a disguise to see through
The planks in my own eyes

I repent of trading truth for false unity
I repent of confusing peace and idolatry
Of caring more of what they think than what I know of what they need
And domesticating you until you look just likes me
I am wrong and of these things I repent

No comments:

Post a Comment