glitter

Thursday, June 16, 2011

It was a very good thing

that I went to Haiti.  I am incredibly thankful for it.  I am in awe of the week spent there.

From the original idea to go, over a year ago, the Lord cultivated desires in my heart.  He paved the way for us to go to Haiti.  He built a team to go.  All of the details fell into place.  People came alongside me financially, prayerfully, and encouraging me in so many ways.

It has been fun to share stories on the blog about things that I saw and experienced.  I can't put all of it into words though.  I know that it was perhaps the best week of my life.  The Lord met me in so many ways.  He taught me much.  I hope that I won't soon forget the lessons learned there and the things seen.  I know life will go, and already has, back to normal.  But I hope its not completely the same -- I want to be different because of this experience.

Being back, I think my heart was happier in Haiti.  One life isn't better than the other, but I think I was more grounded.  The important things in life seemed important, while clothing/cars/bank accounts/comforts seemed less important.  Here, my mind constantly races over things that don't matter all that much in my day to life.  There, I was more concerned with others and basic needs; I fought to find hope and trust in the Lord.

I've really enjoyed these verses for the past month or so, but they are more relevant to me now.

Proverbs 13:12
Hope deferred makes the heart sick; but a desire fulfilled is a tree of life.

Psalm 118:5-9
In my distress I prayed to the LORD, and the LORD answered me and set me free.  The LORD is for me, so I will have no fear.  What can mere people do to me?  Yes, the LORD is for me; he will help me.  I will look in triumph at those who hate me.  It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in people.  It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in princes.



No comments:

Post a Comment