glitter

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Deet

We were told to bring bug spray that is at least 40% deet with us.  I couldn't find that at my local Wal-Mart (not altogether surprising).  But Courtney was able to find 40% AND 98.11% which we called 100% deet.  This junk was worn all the time.  We put 40% on after our nightly shower -- just for the walk to our tent.  And 100% was put on in the morning and throughout the day.

We joked that we might be sterile after using 100%.  I'm not sure if my lady bits were affected or not, but I know that my shoes were.  The deet started eroding my Keens!   I don't have a good picture, but trust me, it happened.  That meant that I had red Keen coloring all over my feet and legs throughout the day.  Ha.  Regardless, it was worth it.

Also, one morning when deeting up, I accidentally got some in my eye!  It burned!  We read the instructions and it said that you should flush with water for 15-20 minutes.  That is some serious stuff!  I put in some eye drops and thought I'd be fine.  But the deet kept burning.  Luckily Weston knew how and was able to flush my eye for a bit.  I'm sure the others were thinking they caught it on video because I'm pretty sure I looked like a flailing idiot.  Oh well.  The good news: my eye is still working.  Guess the flushing was a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment